Puhh! just back from my evening trip. Flashlights is a very healthy hobby!

jenskh

Enlightened
With all my nice flashlights, of course I have to use them. I have a nice hiking terrain near my house with some forest and some open terrain, and with no artificial lighting. Now in the winter we have nice long and dark evenings here in Norway.

My walking light is my Dereelight CL1H with a 5A Q2 pill placed in an OP reflector. It gives a very comfortable light, and the colors of the nature looks quite natural. I love this tint. It gives smooth and good illumination of my close surroundings, and it has usable light that goes out to 70- 80 meters when om max. When I need or want to see longer than that, or just for fun, I pick out my DBS with SMO reflector. I have long used a Q5 WC pill, but have recently been upgraded with a R2 WH pill. This new led gives a little more light, and the green parts of my surroundings looks greener, which I like. It was well worth the upgrade.

There have been some discussion if the A5 tint is more effective, and in fact may be outweights the illuminance advantage of the cooler tints. I have done some experimeting on this on my evening trips by changing the pills back and forth between my two Dereelights and measuring distance to objects. I have found out that I need at least as many lux to discover and identify an object with the A5 tint as with the WC tint. So for me, the only real advantage of the A5 is that it is more cosy.;)

My Dereelights is the ones that get most used on my trips. I also always carry an L2D in my jacket, and my EDC light, my LF2X in my pant pockets. My Lf2X is used several times a day for a lot of different small tasks. I have become quite dependent on that little light. I hardly notice it in my pocket, and it is so nice to just put it in my mouth when I need both hands free.:laughing:

But the point of this story was that becoming a flashaholic is the healthiest hobby I have had for a long time since it makes me go hiking almost every night.:twothumbs

Fird

Enlightened
I've also used both the DBS and the CL1H simultaneously with a Q3 5A pill and a Q4 WC pill, and I would agree that there is little useful difference in the color rendition of the tints when the pills are used in the DBS. There's such an intense spot, so many lumens in one place, that it really doesn't matter except for the 'cozy' factor.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I try to think up excuses to use mine. Lately my kids have seen inside enough caves and castles to last a lifetime! :naughty:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
after 8 weeks on this forum i have about 10 good lights, 3 in the car 4 at home 3 in the garage 5 with friends.

there is no darkness in my life.

^lie, i actually needed a light the other night and didnt have one with me:eek:

good excuse to buy a quality keychain light if ever i heard one.:party:

KIRWILLE

Newly Enlightened
I don't use the lights in my house anymore, just my edc. I figure I'll save enough money on electricty to buy some more flashlights...... that's what I tell my wife:grin2: .

edc3

Enlightened
I use my lights a lot for night riding and walking. It's a good excuse to play with the lights I have AND exercise. My health insurance should cover the cost of new lights as a preventative therapy. :p

jenskh

Enlightened
I've also used both the DBS and the CL1H simultaneously with a Q3 5A pill and a Q4 WC pill, and I would agree that there is little useful difference in the color rendition of the tints when the pills are used in the DBS. There's such an intense spot, so many lumens in one place, that it really doesn't matter except for the 'cozy' factor.
Well, I was not thinking close range here where you have an intense spot, but the usefulness of the light at max range where the illuminance will be around 1 lux according to my eyes and measurement.