WARNING: SCAM INVOLVING EBAYERS

TOB9595

Enlightened
I received two emails 39 minutes apart with the message that I copied at the end of the this post. The email has a senders address of suspension @ ebay.com. I figured this was just some audit they were doing. I clicked the link that the message indicates and got a page that looked like it was ebay. I had to log in just like ebay. I could not distinguish that the page is not ebay. I became wary when they asked for so much more info than ebay usually requires including my drivers license number. I replied to this email with the question of why they need this info and got no response in 24 hours. I then went to the ebay site where I buy and sell and searched, ya gotta dig, for an ebay email to ask why they need the info or if this is a scam.
To my surprise it is a scam.
EBAY DID NOT SEND THIS REQUEST FOR INFO!!!
Luckily I did not give any info on the page that the initial email displayed. I did log into this page, just like I would on ebay with my ebay password. The scammers now had my password.
When ebay notified me of this scam I changed my password.
BEWARE THE SCAMMERS THEY ARE CLEVER!!!!
copy of the email follows:

[ QUOTE ]

Subject: FPA NOTICE: eBay Registration Suspension - Section 9- tob9595

Dear tob9595 ([email protected]),

We regret to inform you that your eBay account has been suspended due to concerns we have for the safety and
integrity of the eBay community.

Per the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend
or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause
financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to
verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.

Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This
includes the registering of a new account.

Please note that this suspension does not relieve you of your agreed-upon obligation to pay any fees you may owe
to eBay.

To update your member profile copy and paste the following link in your web browser, after you pass the account
verification process, your account will be enabled for further use.

http://12.44.137.178/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=VerificationLogin&[email protected]&suspension=1

Regards,

Safeharbor Department,
eBay Inc

[/ QUOTE ]

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The link does not work.
There are lots of similar spammers out there. It is best to check the security sign on the bottom left of your web to be sure that the website is valid. Also, it is not best to click a link, as we cannot prove that the site is a spam when you do have security sign on the page.

K A

Enlightened
Send FULL headers of that email to [email protected]. The IP does not resolve to a domain name but a whois lookup shows it belongs to AT&T.

There ARE scammers out there that make look-a-like websites that LOOK like the real thing, where they try to get all your information!

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had the same happen to me couple of times, expect a few more of them. Ebay was most helpful, they gave me an addie to forward to, think it was [email protected], but not sure, would have to look it up again. either way just be extra cautious.

I got one that was telling me that Ebay and Yahoo were merging and they wanted me to update my account. It looked really official. Then wanted account info that Ebay never asks for. This stuff will happen occasionally so you just have to be on your toes.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks like an AT&T dsl customer in Texas. They will have the records of who was assigned that IP at the time the email was sent. They wont tell you without a court order, but they will likely assist eBay in researching the scam.

Don't let it get any older, contact them right now and shut the bastages down!

TOB9595

Enlightened
Webley, It's [email protected] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I also looked up the other same message but at first I didn't see the different ip addresses. It points to
infoteck.qc.ca
A Canadian internet supplier.
I forwarded them to att, ebay and infoteck
That's the beauty of the Cafe. I didn't think to look up the ip nor contacting anyone outside of ebay.
I'm just happy I thought to contact them.
Tom

JackBlades

Enlightened
I have received emails from scammers that look like AOL pages basically saying the same thing, "Give us your credit card number, account password, AOL password, etc".......I just ignore them.
Always some asswhole trying to get something for nothing.......

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a good one,
kept geteting emails claiming to be from african ambassador/embasy personnel seeking to claim monetary funds. But cannot due to banking problems, seeking individuals to receive funds for them then forward/wire the money to them minus a fee paid to you for your service, now we just need your bank account number/info....

DUH!! The problem I got with it all is that there are people so stupid to fall for it, its been said before, it'll be said again, you don't get something for nothing, if it sounds too good to be true, IT IS.

And the latest on the news last night. Nigerian scams. They offer to buy items being sold over the net. They state that they have someone who owes them cash so get the victims to accept a travelers check in excess of the amount of the item they are purchasing, then you wire them the difference. The checks come back as bad and they are stuck with it, most times held responsible for the full amount of the check. I'm sorry, but it doesn't pay to be nice to someone anymore. And with the anyonimity of the internet, one should be very cautious of anyone's claims, especially in money is involved or expected to change hands.
I hate to sound cruel, but they should know better.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
webley445 said:
Here's a good one,
kept geteting emails claiming to be from african ambassador/embasy personnel seeking to claim monetary funds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get several of these every day, and I just sh*tcan them as soon as they come in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
Africa is full of starving people, yet these spambags think you don't know that and try to "bribe" you with offers of money for letting them use your bank account. What the average f*** does not know though, is that the spambag will EMPTY your bank account if you give them the number. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig: those Nigerian scams are well known if you pay attention to the news. It is still amazing how many idiots are in America. I get those things all the time and just add them to my blocked senders list.

That link in the topic post is a dead giveaway! those numbers should have clued you to the scam.

Photon

Newly Enlightened
There is a new variation on this scam.

Example: You sell something on ebay for $1000. Buyer says that a friend in America owes him money. He asks if the friend can send you the money, and he trusts you to send the difference. You get a cashiers check for $8000, and send $7000 to the buyer. Surprise, the cashiers check was bogus.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one asking me to confirm my Paypal Account information and I didn't even have Paypal, and I have recieved several saying that Someone was using my Ebay Account to commit fraud and I needed to confirm my info. Both provided links which I ignored and I deleted the messages. All of the sites always mention on registration that you will never be asked to provide info via Email and only when securely logged into your accounts. So don't ever provide identifiable info via Emailed requests.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get an e-mail saying you need to verify information, just call up or e-mail the company where the e-mail supposedly came from...

I find more often than not that if I get a "PayPal" e-mail stating I need to "confirm" some information, I'd just open up a new window and log onto PayPal myself to verify it; instead of going through the link provided.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If PayPal's URL doesn't start with "htpps" then don't go to it at all!!!
I also got one of those fake PayPal emails, and I too went to PayPal my usual way and verified my information that way. Screw the emails... they can be stuffed down a toliet for all I care. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got two emails today titled YOUR MSN ACCOUNT INFO.
They had attachments that contained viruses. The body stated "Your new info is inside".

The sad part is that there are silly people out there that will download it. Usually those who are not too savvy to the web and all its idiots/scammers/a**h***s.