Serial/Parallel confusion, see photo please

jaygrant

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I need verification. I think I am wrong, but I don't know.

In the photo below, is this a serial/parallel diagram or is it not?

I don't think it is, but maybe I'm wrong. If it is, what is the final voltage and amperage?

Image1.jpg

Sorry, I get lost sometimes about serial/parallel maybe because I get lost most all the time.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Ok, let's fix this thing.

If you remove all the green S-shaped portions, you would have a parallel config, 1.2v, 3.0AH.

If you left the green, you have to snip some of the black/brown. Out of the black/brown, you have 6 small vertical pieces, touching each end of the cell. As shown above, let's number them:

In that orientation. If you remove 2, 3, 4, and 5, you have a series setup with 3.6v, 1.0AH.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the photo below, is this a serial/parallel diagram or is it not?
As drawn, you have short-circuit...

Series parallel would mean if you have 4 cells, that you have two groups of two in series with each other, and the two "stacks" would each be in parallel to each other:

4-SERIES:
-[]-[]-[]-[]-

4.8V, 1Ah

4-PARALLEL:
-[]-
-[]-
-[]-
-[]-

1.2V, 4Ah

2-SERIES, 2-PARALLEL:

-[]-[]-
-[]-[]-

2.4V, 2Ah

It is not possible to wire 3 cells in series parallel. At least 4 are needed, as there must be the SAME nominal voltage across each stack.

-[]-[]-\
-[]----/

Would also be very very bad (similar to short circuitng). As the two higher voltage cells would overpower the single cell and probably destroy it.

You add together voltages for cells in series, and you add capacities (not current) for cells in parallel.

I don't think it is, but maybe I'm wrong. If it is, what is the final voltage and amperage?
I think you are confused on the difference between current (in amps) and Capacity (in amp-hours). In you example I believe you are trying to indicate that your battery has a nominal voltage of 1.2V, and a nominal capacity of 1Ah. In other words, it could (ideally) supply a current of 1 amps for 1 hour, or a current of 100mA for 10 hours,

Voltage, current, and resistance are related to each other according to Ohm's Law:

I (Current) = V (Voltage) /R (Resistance)

This means (in theory) if you have a battery at 1.2 volts, and a load with 1.2 ohms of resistance, then you will have 1 amp of current. A higher resistance and you have less current. If your battery is not connected to anything, you have open circuit "infinite" resistance and no current (thus no power dissipation). If your battery is short circuited, you have almost zero resistance, and a very very large current (and possibly a lot of power dissipated all at once, hence :poof:).

In reality, your battery will have some internal resistance by itself. How much current your battery can safely and effectively deliver will depend largely on its internal resistance. A typical alkaline battery has a lot of internal resistance -- which means if you try to use it in a high-drain load, its voltage will "sag", and the actual amount of energy that can be effectively used will be lead under heavy load.

On the other hand, like a NiMH cell, or a LiIon cell will generally have a very low internal resistance. This means they are capable of delivering higher currents, and can be used in more demanding applications, such as RC cars, or powering camera flashbulbs, or high power flashlights. At the same time, this means you must have a greater "respect" for them. As they are capable of delivering a lot more power, they are capable of causing more damage if they are shorted out (especially true of the Lithium Ion cells, which are themselves flammable)

I'd advise you do some more research on your own into these basic electrnoics (eg current, voltage, internal reistance etc).

Last edited:

jaygrant

Newly Enlightened
Well that's why I asked. I thought it was a dead short, but figured I would make sure. I saw it and thought it was really odd and that I'd missed something, but obviously not. I thought you had to have at least four to make a S/P circuit.

Thanks for verifying it was a dead short.