Advise on AC driver for DC led(s)...

collector

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I have a very nice and vintage Akai AM-2600.
Great sound, fits together nicely with three other Akai AM-2200s.

The AM-2600 has VU-meters in front, which are (were) illuminated by a light-bulb, soldered to a fixed bracket. The bulb burned out and does not light the VU-meters anymore.

We use 220~240v here in Europe, but I measure the voltage going to the Bulb to be 120v (AC)... I would like to light the VU meters using 2 (or more) 3mm or 5mm leds, either white or blue... Or maybe even an old LuxI/LuxIII I have laying around here...

The only thing I don't have is a suitable driver for running such a led. Can anyone recommend me a driver ?

Thanks for the help guys !!

Regards ! :twothumbs

Light Sabre

Enlightened
You could put 2 LEDS in parallel, but anode to cathode on both ends and add a series current limiting resistor. One LED would light on the positive cycle and the other LED would light on the negative cycle. Or you can make one of the LED's a regular diode and the LED would only light on the positive or negative cycle. A bridge recifier to convert AC to DC, attach LED with correct polarity, then proper value of series resistor.

DigiKey might have the right size and voltage light bulb, then you won't have to deal with any of the above. Would be safer too.