Multilevel AA Light with Low Low Besides Proton?

scott

Enlightened
I really like the idea of the Proton Pro except for the red light. I want a low low white light and be able to start there without ramping up. What other AA lights can start out fairly dim. It doesn't have to be as dim as the Proton will go, but Fenix's lows are way to bright for my needs. Any suggestions?

Marduke

Flashaholic
NiteCore NDI and D10, LiteFlux LF5XT come to mind.

There is a relatively simple mod for the Pro. If you remove the red 3mm and replace it with a white you gain a VERY low low.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Any JetBeam with the IBS interface will allow you to set your first/starting mode at 2 lumens (much lower on the Military model). Since all three modes are user-settable, you can also program the light specifically for low-light duty, such as 2-15-60 lumens, or 2-5-15 lumens, etc.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Scott, here are two that come to mind:

LiteFlux LF5XT:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=181714

Jet 1 Pro:
http://store.bugoutgearusa.com/jetipro.html

I don't have either one so I can't comment on which light might be best for you, but there are reviews covering both. I've been strongly considering the LF5XT, but the bezel seems like it might not be to pocket friendly.

Any reason you're not considering CR123/RCR123 lights? There are some excellent low level lights available with that format too.

JBorneu

Enlightened
NiteCore NDI and D10, LiteFlux LF2x come to mind.

This has to be the worst reply I have ever seen Marduke make. The lowest low on my NDI is not very low at all, it's about as bright as a 0.5 watt LED light, 10-15 lumens I guess, and the LF2X uses AAA cells.

But I have to admit, modding the Proton Pro seems like a good idea for your needs.

Marduke

Flashaholic
This has to be the worst reply I have ever seen Marduke make. The lowest low on my NDI is not very low at all, it's about as bright as a 0.5 watt LED light, 10-15 lumens I guess, and the LF2X uses AAA cells.

But I have to admit, modding the Proton Pro seems like a good idea for your needs.

FYI, the LF was a typo, and the NDI is ~3lm on AA's

2manybikes

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure there is some variation in each individual light, I don't know how much. But, my D-10 goes lower than my NDI and the ITP C7T Tactical Cree Q5 goes even lower, and is about $25 cheaper.

JBorneu

Enlightened
FYI, the LF was a typo, and the NDI is ~3lm on AA's

Maybe some are different, but my NDI is WAY brighter than 3 lumens on the lowest low (on alkaline or NiMH). More like 10-15 lumens, comparing by eye with other lights of which I know the lumens rating. The too high low and the clicky switches which wear out too fast are my only two problems with the NDI.