What's the ultimate Mag 6D brightness setup?

Swagg

Enlightened
So I have all the lights I want/need right now but I'm wanting to indulge in the crazy/silly category of light. I just think it would be fun to build a monster 6D flame thrower with FM's 3" reflector head to top it all off. So here's what I am going to do: 6D Mag, FM's 3" head, AW's 3 level soft start, and I don't know where else to go!

I want a super bright light so what's my best option with batteries and bulbs. I'm hoping to get somewhere in the range of 12,000 lumens or more if possible. I know the 150w-250w Osram bulbs can get there but how would I power it in the 6D? I was also thinking about somehow getting 7 AW C cells but I'm not sure about fit and power. Any help?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
No helpful advice except that you might get more help in the incan section? 'Those' incan folks are a tight knit bunch, and they are allways doing crazy stuff like this.:crazy: More will notice it there then here (in the General Section) I think, a mod will move this thread if you ask.

Edit: Oh man, if this thread gets moved I'm in trouble for teasing them, I just got a bunch of turbohead help there...:wave:

Last edited:

Swagg

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply, and who/how do I ask it to be moved?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
You can PM any of the mods (links near the bottom of the general flashlight discussion page). DM51 is a good one to ask, he just loves moving threads.;)

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
In answer to the question:

My advice is to go with this:
Bulb: Osram 64458
You can get more output from the 64458 than a 64623 if you drive it harder (more volts).
You could try 5 x Li-ion D cells and a dummy cell/spacer that is a bit shorter than a D cell (because the Li-ion D cells are a bit longer). This would give up to about 20V and 18.5V nominal and will fit nicely in a 6D. An Osram 64458 bulb on 18.5V will run at 9.9A for 183 watts of power. This will get a bit warm and is well capable of lighting paper at close range. This would make around 6000 Lumens.

To get around 12000 Lumens:
For a 150W - 200W you will have a bit more work to get it working well.
The Osram 64633 bulb is 150W, but only 15V and is not as tolerant of high voltage as some - it will :poof: at 18V (so can't run from 5 x Li-ion). I would say that this bulb in no good for what you are trying to achieve.

The Osram 64633 is a 24V 250W bulb, but bloody huge! It will take up to a bit over 29V before :poof:. This is the bulb you should use if you are determined to get up around 12000 Lumens!
This bulb would probably work OK from 7 x Li-ion, but you will need to wait until AW releases some IMR C cells, the protected ones can't handle 12A.
Unfortunately your AW soft start driver will :poof: with this setup. At 27V you will be looking at 12A for a total of 324W - the AW soft starting incan driver will handle no more than 200W, so we are looking at more than 50% above its maximum.
At 27V this bulb should be able to cope with somewhere around 70 hours of use, which is not too bad. You will probably need to wire up some sort of high capacity switch and you wont be able to soft start this setup.