Surefire "Borofloat" Lens/Window ??

LumenMan

Enlightened
I was just looking through the latest Surefire 2009 catalog. On page 9 it mentions "Our windows are made of tough, tempered Borofloat glass".

I thought that they use Pyrex & Lexan??

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Borofloat is just a trade name from Schott for borosilicate glass. Pyrex is Corning's trade name.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
In all seriousness, I use a borofloat window on my ROP and I'm very pleased with how well it's been holding up.

Illum

Flashaholic
Pyrex is just as good, if not the very same thing.

Think about it this way, on performance
Polycarbonate < Lexan < Borosilicate glass aka Borofloat (R) < soda-lime-silica glass aka Pyrex (R)

Borofloat and Pyrex are just brand names...and no... It's not all very much the same stuff.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think about it this way, on performance
Polycarbonate < Lexan < Borosilicate glass aka Borofloat (R) < soda-lime-silica glass aka Pyrex (R)

Borofloat and Pyrex are just brand names...and no... It's not all very much the same stuff.

Borosilicate is better than soda lime glass.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
From Wiki's summary :

"Pyrex is a brand name for glassware, introduced by Corning Incorporated in 1915. Originally, Pyrex was made from thermal shock resistant borosilicate glass. In 1998, Corning sold its consumer products division which subsequently adopted the name World Kitchen. Pyrex kitchen glassware (unless it's made in the EU, see below) is now made of tempered soda lime glass. [1]. Pyrex laboratory glassware is still made of borosilicate glass [2]."

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
From Wiki's summary :

"Pyrex is a brand name for glassware, introduced by Corning Incorporated in 1915. Originally, Pyrex was made from thermal shock resistant borosilicate glass. In 1998, Corning sold its consumer products division which subsequently adopted the name World Kitchen. Pyrex kitchen glassware (unless it's made in the EU, see below) is now made of tempered soda lime glass. [1]. Pyrex laboratory glassware is still made of borosilicate glass [2]."

I knew I wouldn't be the only one to read that. :poke:

Size15's

Flashaholic
If manufacturers can change LEDs to get those that better meet their requirements I suppose the same can be so for other flashlight components such as the window material... :shrug: