Any Online 4AA DoubleBarrel sources better than this one?

Tech a Billy

Newly Enlightened
I grabbed the last two (a red and a blue) that our local Office Depot had. That was about two weeks ago. They were only $8.99 each.
smile.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by TOB9595:
They're on Ebay now. $7.99. I forget the shipping
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just checked. They're all 8AA OR 4AAA. Any other ideas?

BN

Tech a Billy

Newly Enlightened
brightnorm,
I stopped at that Office Depot on my way home tonight and they had 4 more DB 4AA's on the rack and the silver one had your name on it. I grabbed a red one too. They rang up as $7.99 each. I'd be glad to send it to you (or both if you like) for my cost plus actual shipping. I left a blue one and a red one hanging there. If anyone else is interested, I could stop back there tomorrow.

tb

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Tech a Billy:
brightnorm,
I stopped at that Office Depot on my way home tonight and they had 4 more DB 4AA's on the rack and the silver one had your name on it. I grabbed a red one too. They rang up as $7.99 each. I'd be glad to send it to you (or both if you like) for my cost plus actual shipping. I left a blue one and a red one hanging there. If anyone else is interested, I could stop back there tomorrow.

tb
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Tech a Billy,

I'd love that silver/black one or two if they have them, or even a silver and a blue one. Please don't go to any trouble for this, just tell me how I should get in touch and pay you.

Many thanks,
Brightnorm

Big Tex

Enlightened
Brightnorm, this is off topic, but I've been wanting to thank you for your thread about the SRTH for the SF D-3. Until then, I was gonna sell my D-3 but I got one and wow, now it's one of my favorite lights. Thanx

Tech a Billy

Newly Enlightened
Lots of possibilities. My favorite is to use the bulb from the 6AA model in a 4AA light that has been modified for straight series (it's easier than you think) and then run it on 4 nimh rechargeables. This makes a nice bright, white light and I just love those DB bodies. This set up works equally well on the 4AAA model ($5 at Wal-Mart) and I haven't had a bulb burn out in 5-6 battery changes. Do a search for Double Barrel and you'll find everything you need, except the bulb. But rechargeable may not be the best thing for the wifes car, what with the self discharge issue and, in northern Michigan, I bet you'll be concerned about cold weather performance.

For a light in the wife's car I think I have just the thing. I removed the plastic barrel liner/bushings and cut down a 4AA DB so that it holds only two lithium 123's in each barrel. I cut the barrel off at the head end and re-attached it with SS sheet metal screws. The stock series/parallel arrangement remains as is. I then installed a bulb from the 8AA DB model. In this set up, the 4 lithiums burn this bulb right at it's rated voltage of 5.5v It's not as bright as I expected but it's much brighter than the original 4AA, should have a good runtime (2-3hrs?) and will be great for cold weather/long term storage. I even re-attached the black rubber side panels using silicone adhesive. Looks like it was made that way. Did I mention that I love these lights?
smile.gif