Looking for suggestions on M1X and DBS

Centropolis

Enlightened
I sold my M4 yesterday to put money towards a MC-E based LED thrower. I own a Eastward that is basically a clone of a DBS and it throws well but I now looking for a bit better quality one.

I am currently looking at the Jetbeam M1X and the DBS V3 MC-E or R2.
The DBS MC-E's beamshots I've seen so far suggest that somehow the beam is not as focused as the R2 pill. It looks like it doesnt throw as far as the R2.

The M1X's build looks like it is better and it has a bigger head.
I am leaning towards a M1X at the moment.

Am I dismissing the DBS v3 too quickly? Or the Tiablo ACE?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on what I've seen so far, my vote goes to the Jetbeam M1X when it comes to Quad-Die LED flaslights.

If you only want throw though, the Tiablo A10-R2 might be your best bet. (Or a DBS-R2)

Centropolis

Enlightened
Based on what I've seen so far, my vote goes to the Jetbeam M1X when it comes to Quad-Die LED flaslights.

If you only want throw though, the Tiablo A10-R2 might be your best bet. (Or a DBS-R2)

How is the quality in a DBS? I've never hold one in my hand, they look kind of cheap for what they're charging (over $120).

I know DBS is well-respected but just asking before I spend over $100.

djblank87

Enlightened
How is the quality in a DBS? I've never hold one in my hand, they look kind of cheap for what they're charging (over $120).

I know DBS is well-respected but just asking before I spend over $100.

DBS and cheap do not fit together in the same sentences. DBS is anything but cheap and one of the best quality flashlights out of China I have ever held in my hand. It rates right up there with some U.S. dealers.

DBS R2 will out throw the M1X and the DBS MC-E. MC-E vs. M1X, from the pictures it would be the M1X, I own the DBS MC-E and it is primarily flood but has decent throw out to 45 feet and will light up every inch of that 45 feet.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own the DBS MC-E and it is primarily flood but has decent throw out to 45 feet and will light up every inch of that 45 feet.

45 feet? My DBS MC-E (2.1A) generates over 11,000LUX. That should be good for 400-500 feet. Anything within 100-200 feet should be very well lit.

I think my Arc GS could light something up at 45 feet in total darkness, and that's only 10-15 lumens with no reflector. DBS MC-E is 400-500 lumens with a large reflector. It's just getting started at 45 feet.

Last edited:

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the M1X for a week now and am very impressed. The fit, finish and build quality are excellent.
Throw is outstanding. It is about 850 ft to my treeline and it lights them up fine. My Spear hits the trees also but has a tighter hotspot as expected.
Wade: We'll have both lights to compare at the next PF at Scotts if your attending.
The only thing about the MC-E is the X in the beam- annoying sometimes.
I recommend the M1X- it is a great light.

Centropolis

Enlightened
I've had the M1X for a week now and am very impressed. The fit, finish and build quality are excellent.
Throw is outstanding. It is about 850 ft to my treeline and it lights them up fine. My Spear hits the trees also but has a tighter hotspot as expected.
Wade: We'll have both lights to compare at the next PF at Scotts if your attending.
The only thing about the MC-E is the X in the beam- annoying sometimes.
I recommend the M1X- it is a great light.

Are you saying that the Spear out throws the M1X? I am not sure if you have experience with a DBS R2....does the M1X have a tighter beam than the DBS R2?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
does the M1X have a tighter beam than the DBS R2?
That's highly unlikely...

Well, since the is M1X is already sold-out... Where the heck are the CPFers who bought them anyway? Where are the reviews??
:shrug: :thinking:

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Spear outthrows the M1X because of the tighter hotspot.( Not by much) They both hit my treeline. The M1X is alot wider beam- the DBS-R2 had almost the same beam as my Spear when I compared them at PF11.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would expect the M1X MC-E to out throw the DBS MC-E. Haven't confirmed this yet, but it would seem the M1X has a larger reflector, etc.

Anyone know how much current the MX1 delivers to the MC-E?

I think the DBS MC-E makes a nice MC-E host if you want something with decent throw that is still some what compact and pocketable. The M1X is a larger light obviously. The DBS V2 can run 2xR123's, or 2x18650's with the extension tube, but then it is probably similar in length to the M1X.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would expect the M1X MC-E to out throw the DBS MC-E. Haven't confirmed this yet, but it would seem the M1X has a larger reflector, etc.

Anyone know how much current the MX1 delivers to the MC-E?

I think the DBS MC-E makes a nice MC-E host if you want something with decent throw that is still some what compact and pocketable. The M1X is a larger light obviously. The DBS V2 can run 2xR123's, or 2x18650's with the extension tube, but then it is probably similar in length to the M1X.

The M1X is the same size of a SureFire M3T (3xCR123), thus it can run 2x18500 without any extension tubes. So I think that makes it the best compromise between Size VS Runtime.

2x18650 is just too darn long and 2xRCR123 are simply not capable of delivering enough juice to power such a Hog of an LED for a half-decent amount of time. (not to mention unsafe)

jblackwood

Enlightened
The M1X is the same size of a SureFire M3T (3xCR123), thus it can run 2x18500 without any extension tubes. So I think that makes it the best compromise between Size VS Runtime.

2x18650 is just too darn long and 2xRCR123 are simply not capable of delivering enough juice to power such a Hog of an LED for a half-decent amount of time. (not to mention unsafe)

Unsafe how? To the cells? Wouldn't you want to run the higher draw and protected cells in that kind of light anyway?

Last edited:

jblackwood

Enlightened
Maybe unsafe to the dude who surprises you and gets the extended handle to the temple for his trouble. :twak:

Hey, it even looks a little like the DBS!

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unsafe how? To the cells? Wouldn't you want to run the higher draw and protected cells in that kind of light anyway?
Unsafe how? To the cells?

Yes, anything drawing more than 1.3A from those little 16340 li-ions are going to kill them.

Would you want to run the higher draw and protected cells in that kind of light anyway?

You mean IMR's? And to get 15 minutes of runtime on the best case scenario? No, thanks. I'd rather use regular 18500 li-ions for the best performance, runtime and total reliability.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, anything drawing more than 1.3A from those little 16340 li-ions are going to kill them. You mean IMR's? And to get 15 minutes of runtime on the best case scenario? No, thanks. I'd rather use regular 18500 li-ions for the best performance, runtime and total reliability.

I've been using IMR16340s in my 2.1A DBS MC-E semi-nightly for a couple months with no problems. Granted, I carefully monitor them and rotate them after no more than 25 mins of use.

But, I'd prefer to use 18500s if Deerelight would offer an extension - I have the the 2x18650 extension but it's length spoils the pocketability of the DBS/MC-E combo.

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
I like both of my DBS R2 & MC-E on 2x18650. I think I'll get a M1X with the extender later next month too. From images posted on other threads, the M1X beam seems to be a compromise of the DBS R2 & MC-E IMO; of course I could be wrong since I don't have the M1X in hand . . . yet.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like both of my DBS R2 & MC-E on 2x18650. I think I'll get a M1X with the extender later next month too. From images posted on other threads, the M1X beam seems to be a compromise of the DBS R2 & MC-E IMO; of course I could be wrong since I don't have the M1X in hand . . . yet.
A compromise really? The M1X spanks the living crap out the A10-ACE and the DBS MC-E:

5a1ce06611.jpg

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
A compromise really? The M1X spanks the living crap out the A10-ACE and the DBS MC-E:

Hope you're not basing that on that image. I would expect the M1X to beat out the DBS MC-E slighlty, not sure about the A10-ACE. That photo only shows the M1X and we have no idea of the exposure, but it looks long based on the exposure of the ambient lighting. Unless someone also photographed the other lights in question along with the M1X, all at the same exposure, that photo doesn't give us much to go on.

Pöbel

Enlightened
the ACE will most likely dominate the M1X. The Reason is the giant Reflector and the much higher drive level. Therefore the M1X will run longer. The driver is better as well. Several people are experiencing issues with the ACE driver.