Woman gives birth to octuplets in SoCal hospital

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Woman gives birth to octuplets in SoCal hospital

BELLFLOWER, Calif. – A woman gave birth Monday to eight babies, only the second time in history octuplets have survived more than a few hours, doctors said.
The mother gave birth to six boys and two girls weighing between 1 pound, 8 ounces, and 3 pounds, 4 ounces, doctors at Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Center said. The hospital had scheduled a Caesarean section for seven babies, but doctors were surprised when an eighth came out at 10:48 a.m. .....
My twin sons were 3#4oz when they were born 25 years ago. Sounds like they all will make it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Whoever the mother is, I hope she comes from a wealthy family.... for the children's sake.

Flashlight Enthusiast
In socal it's hard to tell. Poor people and rich people live next door to each other and go to the same hospital.

That's pretty amazing though.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That's pretty amazing though.

They won't mention if she took fertility drugs. Most likely, she did.

No surprise that many of the babies were born so underweight. Eight babies in a space that works best for carrying just one.....

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
My aunt used to work at that hopsital and knows every one that helped out.
It's amazing that they all seem to be able to make it. I think that is pretty rare for that many babies.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Expect all the joy and celebration surrounding this story to die very quickly, as the newborns are apparently just the tip of a very large iceberg - a local radio news station has had several sources provide inside information about the mother, whose reasoning behind remaining anonymous is now becoming more clear; This *single* mother already has *six children* and *appears to be on welfare*. One particular source noted that the family has substandard living conditions and is not well liked by neighbors.

This also means that whatever fertility clinic she used was aware that she already had more children than she could care for, and gladly pressed ahead with treatment to ensure she'd more than double the size of her family. No shortage of ethical thorns there.

The media is gathering in the family's neighborhood, so expect the story to explode in the next few days..

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too, heard on the news today, that the single mother already has six children. Didn't hear about the welfare aspect, but do recall that the new mother reportedly lives with her mother. Ugh, if it's all true, nothing to celebrate. Just plain irresponsible.

BVH

Flashaholic
Like it or not, this planet will only support so many humans. What an irresponsible person this is, along with the other half if there was one.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'd put all 14 of those kids into foster care. A stranger would be better for those kids than such an irresponsible person. :thumbsdow

StarHalo

Flashaholic
More fun facts that have come to light thanks to the local radio station's man-on-the-scene:

- The mother, Nadya Suleman (spelling varies), is 33 years old.

- The mother and family (living in the house) are of middle eastern descent.

- Evidence suggests the mother specifically had eight embryos implanted, she did not use fertility drugs or any other method that would randomize the number of potential eggs/embryos.

- The hospital the mother was/is being cared for (Kaiser) did not implant the embryos, she was in her second trimester when she "was transferred from another provider" for care.

- The "donor"/father is a local/California married man in law enforcement. It is not clear how the fertilization took place (evidence suggests medical procedure), or even if the mother knows the father, however he does appear to be the one father of all 14 children. The mother sometimes uses his last name, Guiterrez, as her own.

- The mother worked some time ago as a vocational nurse, however due to an unspecified "incident" which occurred on the job, she "no longer needs to work."

- The mother and the (infants') grandmother and grandfather live in a 3 bedroom, 1500 sq ft house. (This persons:rooms ratio violates federal domicile codes, which may or may not apply to their particular residential area, however adds to their reasons to remain anonymous.)

-The family filed for bankruptcy in August 2008, and was forced out of another house (which was seized) in the same city at that time.

-The (infants') grandmother and grandfather do not share the same last name.

- The (infants') grandfather is a contractor (probably employed by the government in a Justice Dept or Military job) which pays six figures and sends him overseas for long periods of time; most likely a Linguist position in Iraq or Afghanistan.

- The (infants') grandfather is the only employed person in the household.

- General Motors appears to have donated a van to the mother after she had the first six children. Neighbors say GM has offered another vehicle to the family, which the family is trying to offer for sale (before having received it).

I think I'm making this list just to keep track of all the insanity. This story will make a hell of a book once we have all the facts..

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The grandfather was interviewed by Eyewitness News.

Not much of an interview. He was asked how the children were doing.... and in the blink of an eye, went from a kindly grandfather to a complete @$$hole! Actually blaming the media for this ridiculous mess.

The news confirmed everything that StarHalo posted yesterday.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
A single premie infant in a natal intensive care unit usually costs around $50,000 a week, and because each of these infants are so small/early, they'll probably be there at least a month. Hope your calculator can handle a lot of digits.

Since the (infants') grandfather appears to be employed by the government, that means the daughter would be covered by federal health care. And guess who funds that.. :paypal:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying not to prejudge, however I think this woman should explain why she didn't stop at six and how she now plans to support 14 dependents. If she has several million in the bank to cover the basics then go ahead and enjoy my country's outdated policy of irresponsible and unrestricted growth. If however it's with my taxes, then the sooner this state goes bankrupt the better.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Since the (infants') grandfather appears to be employed by the government, that means the daughter would be covered by federal health care. And guess who funds that.. :paypal:
A financial analyst on the news calculated that to give the eight babies just the basics, would cost roughly 2.5 million dollars.

Reproductive organs and a dumb-@$$ mentality are a bad combination. :thumbsdow

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Step 1
???
Profit!

Thanks for the link.

Getting pregnant in order to get money is nothing new. But it usually involves scaming the system for more welfare money.

I'll give credit where it's due though.... She's at least ambitious. :rolleyes:

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I don't know this mother or her situation, or if all that the media is reporting is true. So I won't comment on anything in regards to her.
I will say, I am the father of my family of 16, 14 children, my wife and myself. Children's ages range from 29 down to 4 years. One set of twins, who are now 25 and married. They were 8 weeks early and in the NICU for about 9 weeks. I was glad I had insurance at that time, though IIRC it was in the $3-5k range per week, each :paypal:[never mind, no paypal 25 years ago]. As well as friends and family who were supportive and helpful.
All in all I don't support, IVF, but have some friends who have had fertility problems and I understand the desire for children. Implanting 8 fertile eggs, with the plan of killing the developing human life, that was deemed unwanted, wouldn't be an option for my family. I hope that things work out for this woman and her family.

Latest posts