DX 6090 Not working anymore

WESBC

Newly Enlightened
I just got the 6090 drop in today. I put it in my 6P and there was a gap, so I took off the outer spring. It fit with no gap, but would no longer turn on. I put the spring back on, but it still isn't working. I was using cr123's measured at 3.05 volts each. Is there anything to look for or check?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
you need to unscrew the brass pill a turn or two so it bottoms out against the inside body tube. its adjustable, to compensate for tolerance stackups inherent in the surefire design. you should have a small (~.5mm) bezel gap, that will ensure the pill is contacting the body tube. You can also use a 9V battery to touch the springs and check the module outside of the light... just make SURE you get the polarity correct.

madi05

Enlightened
kramar they should sticky your youtube for the the dx dropins ,, u are the man when it comes to those,, i know i for one appreciate u :twothumbs

i have a couple of the items we discussed coming so stay tuned

madi05

WESBC

Newly Enlightened
I just tested it with the 9v battery and it is still not working. Positive on the inside spring and negative on the outside spring.

EDIT: I also used a multimeter to test the positive/negative terminals while connected to a 9V battery and it is reading 0.00-0.01 V

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
That doesn't sound good... lets take a it a step further.

Double check battery test only this time use one of your known good primary cells. Connect 2-3 inch long wire segments onto the cell, one to the + and a SEPARATE one to the -. I use masking tape to secure the wires to the battery, and just press the wires onto the cell by hand.

With the other hand touch the + battery wire to the + contact spring, while touching the - battery wire directly onto the brass pill. It should light right up.

If not, remove the reflector from the brass pill and repeat the procedure. There is supposed to be a white insulator on the back of the reflector. If that piece is missing and the LED wires short to the reflector it will not light.

I go into a little detail in this vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY3bfuxayVw

If you still cant get the pill to light up then you have a bum module, you'll need to use their "Customer Service Express" and open an RMA case. Take pictures, follow the procedure and mail it back (USPS with CONFIRMATION # !!) to the address provided by the case worker.

I had to do this recently for a wrong item shipped, it took ~20 days extra but they came through.

Last edited:

WESBC

Newly Enlightened
That doesn't sound good... lets take a it a step further.

Double check battery test only this time use one of your known good primary cells. Connect 2-3 inch long wire segments onto the cell, one to the + and a SEPARATE one to the -. I use masking tape to secure the wires to the battery, and just press the wires onto the cell by hand.

With the other hand touch the + battery wire to the + contact spring, while touching the - battery wire directly onto the brass pill. It should light right up.

If not, remove the reflector from the brass pill and repeat the procedure. There is supposed to be a white insulator on the back of the reflector. If that piece is missing and the LED wires short to the reflector it will not light.

I go into a little detail in this vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY3bfuxayVw

If you still cant get the pill to light up then you have a bum module, you'll need to use their "Customer Service Express" and open an RMA case. Take pictures, follow the procedure and mail it back (USPS with CONFIRMATION # !!) to the address provided by the case worker.

I had to do this recently for a wrong item shipped, it took ~20 days extra but they came through.

I was looking at the module before class, when all of a sudden the circuit board became separated from the pill. I figured there was a bad ground connection.

I did what you said, but instead connected the ground to the outside ring what would normally be connected to the pill. It lit right up once the it touched. Now I am off to solder the board back to the pill.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate your help. I became sad when it stopped working and also when my 52mm lens didn't fit in my D cell maglites. Now that that I know its not broken I am happy again. Thanks again!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I was looking at the module before class, when all of a sudden the circuit board became separated from the pill. I figured there was a bad ground connection.

I did what you said, but instead connected the ground to the outside ring what would normally be connected to the pill. It lit right up once the it touched. Now I am off to solder the board back to the pill.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate your help. I became sad when it stopped working and also when my 52mm lens didn't fit in my D cell maglites. Now that that I know its not broken I am happy again. Thanks again!

COOL!!! glad to be of assistance.:)

DX quality is hit or miss. I think anyone wanting to get into DX lights should be prepared to do a little DIY tweeking to get things just right.

I forgot to mention that for all my modules I flow some additional solder around the perimeter of the DX board (where yours broke loose), and I also reflow solder around the small spring.

WESBC

Newly Enlightened
COOL!!! glad to be of assistance.:)

I forgot to mention that for all my modules I flow some additional solder around the perimeter of the DX board (where yours broke loose), and I also reflow solder around the small spring.

I did just that! It works flawlessly now.