Need some help from all you pro's on which flashlight to go with

peterlocal22

Newly Enlightened
hello,
Im buying a new pocket mini flashlight but its difficult to figure out which one to get with out ever actually seeing it first hand. So looking for some advice.
Im looking for a nice, very small so its unoticeable in my pocket, with pocket clip so i can carry it with me everyday, and bright its got to be a bright flashlight. could you recomend one?

i was looking at these: ConneXion X2 Q5 1AA, IncenDio Q5 RCR123, LiteFlux LF2X Cree Multi-Mode LED Flashlight Kit, or Nitecore Extreme SS Bezel 200 Lumens ?
Im hoping someone can chime in who has tried all 4 with some advice or maybe you would recomend a different one from my needs?

thanks

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Take a deep breath and make sure that your seat belt is fastened and please keep your arms in the car at all times because Mr Toads wild ride is about to start.:welcome:
I have no direct experience with the exact lights that you listed but I am mildly familiar with Lumapower flashlights and I have found that they are nice but I prefer Surefires, possibly an E1b for your needs, and I am looking at purchasing from Jet Beam and HDS(Ra Lights)ect...ect...ect... and the list goes on forever.

It may help if you place some parimeters on your desires such as battery type, beam pattern, throw, size, keychain or pocket carry and so on and so on and so on.

There is a welcome mat and a thread of interest section in the fisrt post at the top of this particular forum that may help you with more of your questions and the search function may help you as well.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help but watch your wallet and welcome to the club!

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there and :welcome:

It would be really helpful if you could go HERE fill in the checklist, cut and paste it in a reply in this thread so we can have an idea of your requirements.

peterlocal22

Newly Enlightened
Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?
Everyday use. I plow and very often late at night I will have to check stuff on the machine such as oil. I work construction and i will probably use it daily. Im looking for a relatively small light with a pocket clip. I like to have my knife in one pocket and a small flashlight in the other.

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

I don't want to spend much more than 150

2) Format:

____I want a flashlight.

3) Length:

____2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)

4) Width:

____I don't care.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

Don't have a preference

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
____I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)--x---x-----------------|----------------------Flood/close
8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

No preference

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:
I like the clicky but doesn't have to be

9) Switch Location:
____Id like a push switch on the back end of the body but doesn't have to be this way.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

i would like if possible 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

and maybe a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)

Don't care

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

Don't care

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

pocket clip

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The LF2x is an AAA battery powered light so it is much smaller and so might be a better choice. It's a twistie though.

The E1B and the Nitecore are wider then the other lights because of their larger head. The larger head does give more throw though.

You can also get the Nitecore D10 or EX10 and buy a clip.

What type of user interface do you prefer?

:welcome:

peterlocal22

Newly Enlightened
Hi there and :welcome:

It would be really helpful if you could go HERE fill in the checklist, cut and paste it in a reply in this thread so we can have an idea of your requirements.
Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?
Everyday use. I plow and very often late at night I will have to check stuff on the machine such as oil. I work construction and i will probably use it daily. Im looking for a relatively small light with a pocket clip. I like to have my knife in one pocket and a small flashlight in the other.

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

I don't want to spend much more than 150

2) Format:

____I want a flashlight.

3) Length:

____2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)

4) Width:

____I don't care.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

Don't have a preference

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
____I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)--x---x-----------------|----------------------Flood/close
8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

No preference

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:
I like the clicky but doesn't have to be

9) Switch Location:
____Id like a push switch on the back end of the body but doesn't have to be this way.

i would like if possible 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

Don't care

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

pocket clip

Last edited:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
After looking at your list of criteria, the first light that comes to mind would be the Surefire E1B. My decision mainly has to do with your emphasis on throw....just my .02

Toaster

Enlightened
I have to agree with Surefire E1B as well given your emphasis on throw, reliability, and a good clip. You can get a good deal on em here.

peterlocal22

Newly Enlightened
i added this to my wants:

peterlocal22

Newly Enlightened
I have to agree with Surefire E1B as well given your emphasis on throw, reliability, and a good clip. You can get a good deal on em here.

After looking at your list of criteria, the first light that comes to mind would be the Surefire E1B. My decision mainly has to do with your emphasis on throw....just my .02
thanks for the recomendation
i will look into that light right now

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened
Surefire E1B is my recommendation, GREAT quality, bright, small, pocket clip, 2 brightness levels, long batt life on low.

Good luck on your search!:thumbsup:

P.S. Surefire has lifetime warranty so you never have to worry about something being wrong with the light, because you get free replaced items, surefire doesn't askes to much questions, they jus send free new parts.:eek::thumbsup:

peterlocal22

Newly Enlightened
Surefire E1B is my recommendation, GREAT quality, bright, small, pocket clip, 2 brightness levels, long batt life on low.

Good luck on your search!:thumbsup:

P.S. Surefire has lifetime warranty so you never have to worry about something being wrong with the light, because you get free replaced items, surefire doesn't askes to much questions, they jus send free new parts.:eek::thumbsup:
well fortunetly i found a local store that sells surefire products. now i just have to see if they have the back up and go look at it.
is it small enough to fit un-noticebly in my front pocket or is it alittle to thick?
sorry for the spelling, lol

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
well fortunetly i found a local store that sells surefire products. now i just have to see if they have the back up and go look at it.
is it small enough to fit un-noticebly in my front pocket or is it alittle to thick?
sorry for the spelling, lol

I carry my E1B in my front pocket quite a bit with its pocket clip and don't really notice it too much. I've front-pocket carried it with dress pants, jeans, and shorts in the summer. When wearing a suit, the E1B is my "dress light" too :D.

Based on your list of requirements/wants, I second the notion from the above posters...the SureFire E1B really does fit your needs and it is a durable, bright, lightweight, excellent lights. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I posted a review/thoughts thread on my E1B a while back which turned into a pretty good discussion among CPF members. It might be worth a read.

Robert

Last edited:

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the E1B. I noticed you mentioned that you'd also like a locator flash if possible. The Novatac 120P offers this. It's not quite as bright as an E1B on high, but can be had on Marketplace for around the same or slightly less $$.

peterlocal22

Newly Enlightened
I carry my E1B in my front pocket quite a bit with its pocket clip and don't really notice it too much. I've front-pocket carried it with dress pants, jeans, and shorts in the summer. When wearing a suit, the E1B is my "dress light" too :D.

Based on your list of requirements/wants, I second the notion from the above posters...the SureFire E1B really does fit your needs and it is a durable, bright, lightweight, excellent lights. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I posted a review/thoughts thread on my E1B a while back which turned into a pretty good discussion among CPF members. It might be worth a read.

Robert

i read the thread you started and it was very informative, thanks.
i went down to a local surefire dealer and he had one E1B left. I really loved everything about the light except the head was alittle bigger than i wanted. However it seems like this light is as good as your going to get with quality, size and light. Are there any lights comparable to this that are just alittle smaller or am i just dreaming. maybe i should just buy?

peterlocal22

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the E1B. I noticed you mentioned that you'd also like a locator flash if possible. The Novatac 120P offers this. It's not quite as bright as an E1B on high, but can be had on Marketplace for around the same or slightly less $$.
this light seems nice the Novatac 120P
also looking at the Dereelight C2H
well hopefully i wont read up on any more i need to decide which to get between the surefire, novatac and dereelight?

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Dereelight should be the slimmer of the bunch and also the brightest if you use a RCR123.

Novatac and Surefire are both known for durability. Dereelight is still pretty new but their quality seems nice.

As for throw the Surefire throws the most and the Novatac throws the least.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for throw the Surefire throws the most and the Novatac throws the least.
I agree with this statement, however I want to clarify to the OP this doesn't mean that the Novatac doesn't have much throw. I was quite surprised at how well the 120P illuminated the tree tops at my house when I first received mine. Novatac's "claim to fame" as I understand it is that it has one of the most useful artifact-free beams and transitions beautifully from hotspot to spill. But generally speaking yes, I agree with Gunner12 that of the 3 mentioned, the Novatac's throw is the least.:rolleyes:

Latest posts