Feeler: Rebelized MAG Solitare multimode 800ma

Fitsbain

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to see if there would be interest in mag solitares with a rebel100 and a boost driver for use with aaa nimh (alkaline work too but not as bright).

I think I could do 3 versions of the driver.

#1 20 modes in 3 groups (the DX thing) 800 ma on high.

#2 3 modes in 1 group (kai thing) 800 ma on high.

#3 1 mode ~50 - 825 ma on high.

All with lop aluminimum reflectors.

light looks stock, unless you look into the business end (and I suggest agains it if it is on on high).

Have been carrying mine for 6 months in my back pocket.

With eneloops it draws 2.5 amps on high.

Thinking about $100.

In light of the comments below I've revisited the parts and the work needed to fit everything.

Best price I can do is $80

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'd like to see the protos first. #2 sounds interesting.

$100 does sound a little expensive, though, considering what's currently available for the same battery format.

spencer

Enlightened
Thinking about it though this little light could put out ALOT of light. I don't think any other AAA light could put out almost 200 lumen. The rebel 100 is rated for 180 lumen at 700mA. That is tons of light. I myself prefer the warmer binned LED's (like this one) but thats just me. Come a little lower on the price and you might have me.

Fitsbain

Newly Enlightened
:bumpit:

For a new price.

Need to see enough interest in this to start building them.

foxtrot824

Enlightened
$80-$100? I'm in :twothumbs. I like the warmer bin idea but I am generally addicted to AAA sized lights that have serious output for their size. Please keep this post updated on as to when production might being and any pictures of prototypes would be nice.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The more into the better, and we sort of want to get to know you better, you being sort of new here on CPF, post wise. :wave:

Bill

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
1 mode. Must have excellent heatsinking. Optimized to run on alkaline would be best for me.

2 hours runtime, whatever brightness that would be. Not direct drive.

Keep it simple to keep cost down. $100 would be too much for me for a Solitare mod.

Not saying I want 1 but I am interested in seeing pics.

Last edited:

Fitsbain

Newly Enlightened
I'm waiting on the parts to put a second production unit together. I'll post pics of my prototype tonight or tomorrow.

Once the production unit is done (parts may take a while), I'll send it out to some people to be tested.

Anyone with an integrated sphere to do testing?, or a lux meter?

Fitsbain

Newly Enlightened
Here is my prototype.

You will notice that for this one I removed the dome from the rebel. Just as an experiment.

The Light
thelighthb2.jpg

The Pill
thepillmr8.jpg

All Parts
thepartsef0.jpg

Modded Tailcap
tailcapmoddm6.jpg

Last edited:

Fitsbain

Newly Enlightened
Here are some shots of beams on my garage.

Distance is about 20 ft.

I don't have a great selection of lights to compare to that anyone would be able to refrence except a bunch of mags.

So here goes.

Control
controlhe6.jpg

Mag 2AAA
mag2aaahz8.jpg

Mag 2 AA
mag2aaxv1.jpg

Mag 3D LED
mag3dledbn4.jpg

Streamlight Stylus with a SMJLED @ 125 ma
streamlightstyluskc8.jpg

Rebel Solitaire
solitaireyo1.jpg

P.S. Can anyone ID the model of the truck in the driveway, or the car in the garage? Get them both right and I'll give you a discount if these get produced.

Last edited:

Fitsbain

Newly Enlightened
This is for the white wall hunters.

Shots from about 8 ft ( best surface I could find is my roof).

Order is same as before. Mag 2 AAA, Mag 2 AA, Mag 3D LED, Stylus, Solitaire.

mag2aaabeamoc7.jpg

mag2aabeamsm0.jpg

mag3dledbeamdx5.jpg

streamlightstylusbeampa7.jpg

solitairebeamup1.jpg

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks to be some decent headway on the project

My goodness that rebel has a good tint. I can't wait till more K2 TFFCs get easily accessible.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Looks really interesting, especially with 3-modes, one of them being low-low in the range of 1 lumen or less. Keep the tint on the warm side too please!

And while we're at it, how about getting them HA-III treated?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a nice little light design you have there. It is not so easy to pull 3 -4 C from a single cell in a small package.

Thanks to Lumileds and that tiny package, it gets into little places with nice beams. You have certainly crafted it into a tiny light.

This is JMHO, but while the market is in fact slow for flashlights, these small lights like this are actually harder to make than many large ones - esp. in any volume as there is often precision hand work involved. I think at $ 80 you will loose a lot of money. It is not so easy to achieve 100% yield - perhaps 1 out of 4 will have something go wrong unless you are a very experienced craftsman.

I really like your project there, but I am not in the market right now - wish I was.

Gryloc

Enlightened
I would like to recommend that you try McGizmo's McR-10R reflector found at the Sandwich Shoppe. It is a 10mm reflector specifically designed to work with the Rebel emitters. It fits very nicely into the head of the Solitaire after you remove the stock reflector. You may have to very lightly file the outside diameter of this reflector in order to fit some Solitaires with different colored anodizing (for example I had to do so on the black color but not the blue). This may be just because of machining tolerances also, since the black colored anodized layers on Mags are usually the thinnest (colored and lighter colors have thicker layers).

Slight possibility of filing aside, it is totally worth it. It is somewhat focusable, but once you find the best focus, the beam is beautiful! It has a somewhat broad, but even beam, with a nice corona surrounding it. The beam is very useful, and it still is small and intense enough to allow you to see into the woods or a dark alleyway. The beam from this reflector is very smooth, and I do not see any ugly artifacts in the beam (very clean) considering the Rebel's TFFC die can produce some ugly artifacts (due to those dark spots on the die -vias).

These reflectors work great for both the Rebel emitters as well as the new Cree XP-E emitters. Can I also suggest that you try the new XP-E? They are a bit more fragile due to the use of bond wires, but they use more efficient dies. The Q4s I got are very white and produce an even more tighter of a beam than with the Rebel. Cutter (if you want to deal with them) now sell R2 binned XP-Es now. If the emitter is perfectly centered, then you do not have to worry about shearing off the dome. For the Rebel, this will not totally kill it. In 3 samples of Rebel 0100s, I lost the domes. The phosphor stuck to the die and they continued to function (albiet dimmer due to the whole index of refraction with the dome thing). With the XP-E, if you shear the dome, or maybe just press on it too much, the bond wires can be broken. With the bond wires broken, it will be rendered useless. With the emitter centered, you will be good. The emitter seems to be pretty durable when working with it by hand (while I was experimenting with it).

I modded a solitaire to use a Rebel 0100 emitter soldered to the thin MCPCB found at the Sandwich Shoppe. This MCPCB was then epoxied to a long section of anodized metal cylinder (found at McMaster). I had to increase the diameter of the hole found in the Solitaire so the heatsink would fit. I planned on running the Rebel DD from a 10340 li-ion cell for simplicity. Later, I hoped to build another using the same cell but a small 350mA buck driver, or a AAA cell with a boost driver. For this prototype, I created a positive battery contact at the base of the heatsink and fed a wire up through a hole in the heatsink. The flashlight body was the ground. Since the solitaire lost its twisty on/off function long ago, I had to implement some sort of switch, so I used the small 11mm clicky found at DX and implemented it into the tailcap. I milled a hole into the tailcap and shortened it (I removed the long smooth portion after the threads where the ground contact was made). The clicky works well, but the tailswitch is not as nice looking as before.

With my prototype, I drive the Rebel pretty hard with a full charge on the li-ion cell. I estimated that the Rebel had seen enough current in the first couple minutes of operation to produce 200+ emitter lumens. The reflector is relatively efficient, so the output is pretty bright (and extremely so considering the size of the flashlight). Due to the DD, I do not see runtimes past 20 minutes, and I am abusing the cell a bit when fully charged. This is not a practical light, but it works well and it is a mean little beast. My Q4 bin XP-E is located in a Mag 2AAA with the same reflector. I added the XP-E to the Terra-Lux AAA cell drop-in. The boost converter sends a decent amount of current to the XP-E to provide useful amounts of light while allowing for good runtime (not measured).

Good luck with your Solitaires. I think that you could have a stellar product if you used the XP-E or Rebel with the McR-10R reflector without increasing cost any. The beam you have with your prototype looks somewhat ringy if that matters. Outside, it is difficult to tell because the picture is overexposed. BTW, I really like how you created the pill. The heatsink looks very nice, and it is great how you kept the twisty on/off function intact. Do you use thermal paste on the heatsink, or would that make it too gunky for smooth operation? Thanks.

Cheers,
Tony

EDIT: One more question. Is the dome still intact on your prototype pill? I looked at the picture for a while after posting and I am having trouble distinguishing a dome. I hope it is there, and you intend on having it there in the production models. When you lose the dome, you will see a decrease in light of up to 30% and the tint will shift to a warmer white. It will produce a smaller beam, but it is not worth the decrease in lumens. It is difficult to see the Rebel with that epoxy or spacer ring you have on the top of the emitter. Oh, and the previous poster made some good points. Currently, I am out of the market as well. But by the time you get several production units sold, it may change for me. I like your pill design! Thanks again.

Last edited:

Latest posts