SF production tolerances?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I have two SF E2e's and I bought a KL1 sometime back. Only recently did I find out that the KL1 bezel only fits on one of them properly. On the other E2e body the KL1 bezel doesn't fully cover the rubber O ring! Both incandescent bezels appear to be completely interchangeable with both E2e bodies but the KL1 will only fully seat on one of them!

I have not got the tools to measure the threads on both bodies but suspect one is slightly longer than the other. At any rate I find it intriguing how this can occur with good QC?

Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Is there a large difference in the serial numbers?

As you know, SureFire changes the design all the time. What you may have is evidence that yes, an early version did this so a later version was tweeked.

Al

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Al,

Interestingly enough the KL1 head fits perfectly on the older body, serial number A01195. The newer body number (which the KL1 doesn't fit)is A10427?

Doug

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have E2e-HA A1097, A02372 & A10404.
Using KL1-HA-WH and A00056 & A00319 they both fit tight on all three.
These KL1's are before the positive contact was changed.

Al

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
could it be the bend of the clip of one of the newer E2e is sticking too far out, preventing the KL1 from screwing on all the way? seems unlikely in this case, but it seems like surefire changed the design of the longer clips so the newest ones don't fit on my C2 properly.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Chamenos,

I've checked that idea out and unfortunately the answer is no! I have tried several clips and none of them cause the problem.

Al,
My KL1 is the newer style (but not the latest) with reverse polarity protection etc.
I still suspect that the threads are longer on one than the other.

Doug

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I am fairly sure that there has been some tweaking to the length of the battery tube from the lip to the shoulder behind the O-ring. This is why the "washer fix" was not universal on the pocket clip issue. If you take the two battery tubes and place them against each other, overlapping, with tube lip of one contacting the shoulder behind O-ring of the other, I suspect you will see that only one contact the shoulder of the other. This would be the one with a longer threaded section.

- Don