Hello and thanks

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello. Well, my first post - here goes. Accidentally found this board some weeks ago - very glad I did.

( Thought I was the only flashlight freak in the world, etc, my friends think I'm crazy, etc. )

So thanks, DavidW, and all the other founders/doers of this *cell* .

I've learned a lot through reading only a few of the posts. ( I'll try and work out what it all means later. )

Incidentally, after reading one old thread, Topic: 8 d cell mag lite, ( Dec 2000 ) ( Asking did one ever exist ? )
I did ~15 years ago see an "official" reference in the literature to the once available 7D cell Mag-Lite.
I marveled.
A lot.

Two links to places I haven't seen on the site so far, ( which are also posted in the Bright Websites section for posterity's sake ) Here for your convenience - ,
http://www.nitech.co.uk/

I have one of their 300k candlepower lanterns ( very bright, whether a true 300k or not - anyway it's enough to startle people ) , which has a foolproofed multi-voltage charger built into the battery, and about 80 minutes of operation with the brightest lamp, if I recall correctly. It features a very sharp tight spot, and variable focusing.

Also, I've seen ( even held / switched on . . . and then boggled at the illumination from ) some diving lights from
http://www.kowalski.co.uk/

which are reviewed at http://www.divernet.com/gear/dtst298.htm#kowal

Oh, and hello to Dave H, and telephony, whose sites I enjoyed before landing onto this board. Hope telephony's recovering from the Seattle earthquake.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious...What type of light is carried by the London Met. P.D.? I've heard they have a cool issued light, but I can't find any info on it...

Thanks!!!

--dan

Size15's

Flashaholic
I know someone in the TSG, so I'll see if I can find out.

By the way, the police outside Kings Cross (I think they were MET) had dreadful flashlights. The M2 with P60 was significantly better (brighter, smaller, etc)
The two officers were carrying 2D and a 3D Mag with NiCad batteries...Oh dear...

The police seem [offically] to see their kit as operationally sensitive but the officers I've spoken to are all to happy to talk. I have a hard time showing them SureFires cos I know that most can not afford them, but at some point, they'd really regret not investing... The rechargeable ones are their only viable option, but I don't have any [yet]
frown.gif
to demo for them.

Al

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dano,
As Size15s says, the Metropolitan Police in London mostly use 2D and 3D Mag-Lites ( never seen 4 cell or more, C cells rarely ) carried in the standard belt loop, always in black, very fashionably complementing the uniform. Though some carry 2AA mini-mags, in silver or black, in a small holster, or pushed into a belt * cartridge-type * holder. The high-end lights are not very well known in the UK ( present company excepted of course )
The USA gear is expensive over here - my, how I laugh hollowly when reading complaints about the prices from American light lovers.
Having said that, I've occasionally seen some *hot* looking lights on duty belts - next time I'll ask the individual officer.
The official heavy duty portable light used by Police and Fire search squads is the Dragon, link at
http://www.civil-defence.org/products/lighting/lighting.html

You wouldn't believe how difficult it was to find out that .

I'll also post this reference in the * bright websites * section - I'm assuming that it is correct to double post like that - someone let me know if it isn't.

Ps - Size15's - you've nearly persuaded me to invest in a SureFire
grin.gif
. ( Must ask you for advices and contacts soon
confused.gif
. I live in central London )

YS