Reflector advice for SSC P4 in old KL1 head

foxtrot824

Enlightened
I am upgrading an old KL1 head (ribbed style) to a newer SSC P4 LED and I want to upgrade from the original optics it comes with. I am looking for as much throw as possible. I currently have a smaller reflector from a Jet beam stuck in there but it's not the greatest. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure with the old RIBBED style, you will need an McR18s or Mcr18 reflector

I think the McR20 is too big to fit.

I might be wrong though.

Anyone know for sure?

foxtrot824

Enlightened
I've tried a McR20 and it was too long. I think I'll try a McR18s next. I've got BB Nexten 1000mA driver coming that should spice things us as well. Thanks for all the info.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I'm pretty sure with the old RIBBED style, you will need an McR18s or Mcr18 reflector

I think the McR20 is too big to fit.

I might be wrong though.

Anyone know for sure?

You are correct, the older KL1s will need to use the McR-18/S. McR-20 is too big.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I have a KL1 with a smooth IMS20 in it. The reflector had to be trimmed both on the bottom and the top. Trimming the bottom makes it focus properly and trimming a bit more off of the top allows it to fit. I actually just sanded it by hand on some 220 grit paper. The result is a more concentrated hotspot with a more sudden transition from spot to spill compared to the McR reflectors.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use either Khatod or IMS 17 in 2 of mine. Pretty smooth pattern, but not necessarily a strong thrower. The Khatod needs no mods, but the legs on the IMS have to be trimmed. Both fit inside the lens gasket inner diameter, so they seem small, but I like the results.
I have used the Khatod20 with the P4 on another light, and I like it a lot, too, but it looks like it has to be trimmed for a KL1.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just found out that the L-mini reflectors fit the old style KL1 head perfectly. I suggest getting both the smooth and lop reflectors. They do need to be shimmed a slight bit. They are only $3.75 each!

9x23

Enlightened
Here is my favorite KL-1 mod thread by Icarus. It got me so excited that I decided I was going to mod my KL-1. I began by twisting off the lower bezel and broke the wires to the driver, then I removed the driver board and broke the "legs" off of the negative contact ring. Then, I couldn't remove the upper bezel to get to the emitter so after boiling it numerous times I finally put it in the oven at 350 degrees for a hour and melted the TIR optics and the head still wouldn't unscrew. :oops: On the positive side I didn't put a mark on that head, but then again I'm still working on it. :laughing: That Icarus makes it look so easy!

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/192411

9x23

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I recently did a mod to an old ribbed KL1 using an optic. The owner wanted to keep it as stock looking as possible so I opted to use a NX-01 with a U2SVOH. The NX-01 has been long forgotten, many might have not even heard of them. I rarely use optics anymore but the NX-01 is still my favorite & I'm happy I still have some. The owner reported that the beam is very useful & was pretty happy with it.

Img_7468.jpg

Img_7464.jpg

Img_7315.jpg

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my favorite KL-1 mod thread by Icarus. It got me so excited that I decided I was going to mod my KL-1. I began by twisting off the lower bezel and broke the wires to the driver, then I removed the driver board and broke the "legs" off of the negative contact ring. Then, I couldn't remove the upper bezel to get to the emitter so after boiling it numerous times I finally put it in the oven at 350 degrees for a hour and melted the TIR optics and the head still wouldn't unscrew. :oops: On the positive side I didn't put a mark on that head, but then again I'm still working on it. :laughing: That Icarus makes it look so easy!

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/192411

9x23
:eeksign: poor old KL1 to get so tortured... :eek:
I like that you said it looked so easy... :naughty:

I'm anxious to hear how the poor guy will have to suffer next time... :sick2:

Did you consider to use a hammer already? :crackup:

Sorry, but I couldn't resist... :D

:wave:

Last edited:

9x23

Enlightened
:eeksign: poor old KL1 to get so tortured... :eek:
I like that you said it looked so easy... :naughty:

I'm anxious to hear how the poor guy will have to suffer next time... :sick2:

Did you consider to use a hammer already? :crackup:

Sorry, but I couldn't resist... :D

:wave:

Ha ha ha.....There was no torture involved except for my self-inflicted mental anguish at not getting the upper bezel open! :sweat: But now that someone has revived the idea of modding the KL-1, I will have to get a heat gun this weekend.......:whistle:......that head is comin' off soon even if I have to melt the pyrex lens! I want to at least TRY to mod it! :crackup:

gunga

Flashaholic
Ha ha ha.....There was no torture involved except for my self-inflicted mental anguish at not getting the upper bezel open! :sweat: But now that one has revived the idea of modding the KL-1, I will have to get a heat gun this weekend.......:whistle:......that head is comin' off soon even if I have to melt the pyrex lens! I want to at least TRY to mod it! :crackup:

Pyrex is heatproof glass, so if you melt it you have some big probems...

:sick2: