help decide, upgrading a fenix l2d Q5

exodus125

Enlightened
i have some spending cash and im trying to decide what would be best as an upgrade to a fenix l2d q5. I was thinking about getting a tk10, but the only think I dont like is that it doesnt run on aa batteries.

Any suggestions? Im looking for something brighter than an l2d q5 which will run on aa's

JasonH

Enlightened
You wont find a single die LED that is noticeably brighter overall, one could have a brighter hotspot, such as the DBS, Spear etc.. or a more even floodier beam such as your l2d. You would need a multidie emitter to have a noticeable increase in brightness.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How many AAs will you be using? What kind of AA batteries?

For 2AA and around that size, the L2D-CE Q5/LD20 is one of the brightest.

Do you want more throw or output, or both?

exodus125

Enlightened
i use eneloops. I guess i dont need anything brighter than an l2d, although that 8aa fenix sounds nice...anyone know when it will be available?

I can start selling all my maglights now in preperation...

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
no 2AA light will be brighter - when driven at the same current

if the 2AA Jetbeam lights (Jet I) are like my Jet III, they could be programmable to eat way more current from the batteries (than the L2D), then such a light will be brighter
(but: You reduce the runtime for a big time, to get a little bit more of light - imho makes no sense)

better decide on other things like: UI, way the switch acts, other batteries, asthetics, ...

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, hold out a few months for the tk40. You're not really gonna get much better than the l2d on AA's

exodus125

Enlightened
Or you can start upgrading you maglites...

Not sure about avaliability date of the TK40.

I have. I have some led 3d mags which I actually dont mind at all, as well as a 6d with a malkoff and a 2d ROP. I guess when push comes to shove the l2d is hard to beat. Even the tk40 with its 700 lumens will be hard pressed to compete with a 2aa light thats a lot lighter. I d hate to lug around an 8AA flashlight around my neck.

I have also swapped the 2d rop with the malkoff drop in which gives me a decent runtime and over 200 lumens.

2manybikes

Newly Enlightened
Have a look here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214890.

If you really want a jump in brightness then wait for the TK40. :devil:

Copied from the thread that the link goes too. If you don't want to wait.
The chart indicates the same thing. Refering to other 2x AA lights....

The Eagletac P10A2 is the current max output king (consistent with other Eagletac lights, all of which are heavily-driven on max). Lo mode is about the same level as Fenix Med, with similar runtime.

The charts, and using the light inside don't seem like The P10a2 is much brighter. But, when you take them outside it's easier to see the difference. The greater throw from the Eagle tac is also more noticable when you want to see something far away.

The TK 40............it's only money! :D

Last edited:

pipspeak

Enlightened
The L2D still seems to be the king of runtime but I'm curious the the P10A2 has a similar beam pattern, or is it throwier? I'm after a 2AA light with a little more thrown than the L2D but still with pretty decent runtime.

HKJ

Flashaholic
The L2D still seems to be the king of runtime but I'm curious the the P10A2 has a similar beam pattern, or is it throwier? I'm after a 2AA light with a little more thrown than the L2D but still with pretty decent runtime.

Then check the TK20.

2manybikes

Newly Enlightened

It is brighter and throwier, but still has good spill. It sounds like it might be what you are looking for. I bought mine for the same thing you are lookiing for.
I was impressed, it's brighter and has more throw than my P3D Q5!!

I want to know, across a big field, if something is just a cat or dog, instead of a coyote for example. It's perfect for that with no other beam disadvantages. For that use it is better than the L2D. I consider it a good upgrade from the L2D. When the ground is covered with white snow, I can see across the field with the L2D. Also the low on the L2D does not bother my night vision with the white snow everywhere. Low is enough to see if the dog is going to eat something he should not. When the snow is gone the Eagle Tac is much better to see across the field with. It's enough of a difference for me to really tell what animal the reflecting eyes belong to at a distance. I can't quite do that with the L2D.

You lose the very low setting. On low the P10A2 is pretty bright. It's between medium and high on the L2D. It's bigger and a little heavier. I's easier to operate the power button than the L2D. It is not surrounded by as much metal. I can operate the P10a2 much easier with gloves on than the L2D.

pipspeak

Enlightened
thanks for the feedback... the P10A2 sounds like it's worth a try, especially considering I use my L2D as a two-stage twisty anyway (click on, twist head for turbo or med)

MavZ28

Newly Enlightened
Olight t25 might be comparable with a bit more options. A bit more brighter in some opinions. Might be an option at least worth looking at.