Limit to Driving McLux

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I don't have the balls to try this myself, so I thought I'd ask. What harm (if any) would be done to the LED/BB400 is driven by 2-cells (6-volts) instead of only 1-cell?

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have popped on an E2e body with 2-123A onto the McLux head. Worked fine, and wasn't brighter because of the regulation. I don't know if over time this might hurt the BB400 though.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks. I figured there wouldn't be any noticable brightness due to regulation. I wasn't sure if it could handle the 6-volts or not coming into the regulator and other circuitry.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Guys,

6 Volts to the BadBoy will pretty much pass through with some voltage drop to the LED! The circuit was design as a boost circuit only where the Vin should be at or below the Vf of the LED. 2 cells on a McLux is a BOZO NO No! Regulation is being bypassed! I believe all of the McLux TK's have Q3L Luxeons in them so you can probably safely use a Li-Ion cell (3.7 V) but that is the limit as far as I know!

- Don

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Guys,

6 Volts to the BadBoy will pretty much pass through with some voltage drop to the LED! The circuit was design as a boost circuit only where the Vin should be at or below the Vf of the LED. 2 cells on a McLux is a BOZO NO No! Regulation is being bypassed! I believe all of the McLux TK's have Q3L Luxeons in them so you can probably safely use a Li-Ion cell (3.7 V) but that is the limit as far as I know!

- Don

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif Well it was only for a few seconds luckily. Experimentation only. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woah... The Copias were about as far as I would've pushed the Q3L on the McLux. It was already cookin' after about 10 minutes because it was in direct drive anyways...

Latest posts