Ra Twisty emitter swap?

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well since I had my Twisty apart to install the Novatac clip, I realized it would not be too difficult to change out the emitter. Now there are a couple issues I am not too sure on. My Twisty is an 85-Tr, so it has the golden dragon LED. I wanted to know if it would be possible to put in an SSC P4, as I know the light uses the same reflector for both models. I was not sure if the heatsink is any different(it looked the same), and if the low red mode would have an effect on the SSC P4. My thought was that IF it was possible, that I would have disable the low red mode first, as obviously this would not work with the SSC P4.

My reasoning for this is the fact that my Twisty has a VERY cool tint, and I prefer warmer tints. Now that I have a Kroma I don't have as much of a need for the low red anymore either, so I could lose that option as well. My first thought was to find a warm version of the golden dragon LED, the same that is used in my Clicky. I google'd looking for them quick with no such luck.

I suppose I could try sending henry an email, and see if he could swap in one of his warm emitters into my Twisty? Now THAT would be sweet :sssh:

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Go ahead and fire off an e-mail to Henry. He may be able to solder in one of the WWCN LEDs, which is also an OSRAM design, and may retain some of the throw value that you're used to. (output, not your curveball over the runway :ohgeez:)

The low-red circuit may interfere with operation if not disabled before the swap to a P4, if that's what you do. However, I can also see a small protection diode on the WWCN emitter package, and it could emit IR or very very dim visible/invisible spectrum light. So it may be a non-issue.

Let us know what happens... But to be honest. Those 85Tr emitters with the red diode are rare. Kind of like custom-made for the Ra Twisty only. If you want a warmer beam, perhaps ask Henry if he'll sell you a new Twisty with a Warm White LED in it. Then you can carry one or the other (or both) depending on what you need.

Last edited:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I see what you are saying. I think I am gonna hold off on that emitter swap thought. It was just a quick thought that I had no luck finding any info on here about....kind of curious I guess. Besides, the red diode models are rare indeed.

I must admit, owning this Twisty has been kinda fun. I have never had a light that I felt this comfortable with dishing out this kind of abuse. I guess you could call my random acts of torture my own unique way of testing it's limits. I'm not trying to tell everyone it's ok to throw their Twisty across the pavement, I'm just trying to let everyone know the kind of abuse a light of this build quality can handle day to day. I have been nothing short of impressed :twothumbs

And BTW, thanks for the help Enzo ;)

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OSRAM and SSC based Ras use different heat sinks. The heat sinks are keyed to the emitters (i.e. SSC fits in a round hole, OSRAM fits in a rectangular hole).

Swapping an SSC for another SSC or an OSRAM for another OSRAM is a fairly simple swap. I just swapped for a High-CRI 3000k SSC last weekend.