Lumapower SK Module compatibility ?

mandrake

Newly Enlightened
I got an SK module and installed it on my MRV. It failed to function properly. I would have to play with the SK switch to get anything out of the light. Mostly it just would not turn on. I returned it and got another (thanks for the help Matt). Unfortunately it too has problems. This is my note to Jeff at Battery Junction.

"When I installed the new SK module I could not turn the light on. As you told me that you would test the unit before you sent it out, I thought that there must be something wrong with my MRV.. This MRV is th non-digital version. I think it was an SE, the upgrade with a rated 255 lumens. I cleaned the threads well and nothing. I checked that the main switch was working by checking voltage at the center of the black plastic part that screws into the top of the battery tube, and the threads. I saw the correct voltage. I wondered if the center pad on the plastic disk was making contact with the center conductor on the module. I managed to drop one of these super magnets that I use for spacers in charging certain cells into the battery tube side of the module and center it over the center conductor. I then screwed the battery tub into the module. Sure enough it works. I don't think that this is a good long term solution. I am concerned that the magnet might be too thick and is stressing the components. There is also the possibility that the magnet could be dislodged and the light would fail at a critical moment. My question for you I, have you ever seen this problem before, and what is a good long term solution? Is there, perhaps a different plastic separator for the top of the battery tube that might have a longer post on it?"

Has anyone else had problems with the SK module functioning on any older versions of the MRV. Any thoughts on what I might try to fix it? My MRV is about a year or so old. It was the version with the high output (I believe 255 lumen) engine just before the digital engine.

Phil

Phil

mandrake

Newly Enlightened
I guess no one has seen the problems that I described above. This is good, but I did see it, so not so good for me. I figured I would post the following in case somebody else runs into this issue.

There is a potential that the new Sidekick engine will not work with some versions of the MRV. Thanks to Jeff at Battery Junction, I learned this. I ended up sending my MRV and the second module that I got back to the store. Jeff told me that the black plastic disk that is pressed into the top of the battery tube and allows it to make contact between the batterry and light engine has been revised on newer MRVs. Mine had a solid copper post in it and did not make contact with the light engine positive contact. The newer piece has a spring contact on the light engine side that does make contact.

Hopefully this might save somebody some aggravation trying to figure out why their SK upgrade module doesn't work. It took me two SK modules, two shipping charges back to Battery Junction and about a month with no working MRV to get there.
Thanks again to both Jeff and Matt for working with me to get the situation figured out.

Phil

Latest posts