15kw xenon arc lamp

ypsifly

Enlightened
We have an Imax theater where I work and we got to take a tour of the projection booth on Monday. The technology is amazing and the projector itself weighs two tons! They keep the room at 72 degrees and at about %45-55 humidity to maintain film quality. The best part was getting to hold one of the xenon bulbs. They draw 15kw and have ports on each side to allow something like 8 gallons of cool water a minute to pass through it. They cost $5000 a piece and get replaced every three months. I wish I had my camera with me, but here's a couple links to give you an idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_arc_lamp

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/imax1.htm

A closeup of the bulb: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...n_short_arc_1.jpg/800px-Xenon_short_arc_1.jpg

My GF's uncle might be getting a job there as a projectionist, so I might be able to get some better pics. I'm also going to talk to the head projectionist and ask him what happens to the old bulbs. Wouldn't that make for a sweet shelf queen!

I don't know if it is standard practice at Imax, but the one at The Henry Ford in Dearborn, MI allows visitors to view the booth from behind a glass wall between shows. Just follow the signs up to the third floor.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure I want one in my house, they explode like grenades when broken. Even at room temp there are a few atmospheres worth or pressure in them.

BVH

Flashaholic
Nice pic! For reference, what is the diameter of the anode and cathode? 1/4" or so?

Be careful with that shelf queen...my 2.2KW short arc Vss-1 tank light bulb (same shape & style as the one in your link) contained 66 atmospheres of pressure. My understanding of the conversion factor is that one atmosphere = 14.6 PSI. If that is correct, that bulb had nearly 1,000 internal PSI. When I handled it, my legs were somewhat rubbery!

ypsifly

Enlightened
I forgot to mention that they remove the gas after they change them out. The bulb that was passed around the group was discharged.

NoDak240

Newly Enlightened
(Sorry to resurrect an old thread)

I'm a fledgling light bulb collector and I'd love to get my hands on an IMAX 15kw Xenon arc projector bulb, discharged of course. I was curious how your efforts to secure one after it was replaced went. Any info appreciated.

davidacobb

Newly Enlightened
If you can, find out how they de-gas it? I assume they have to heat it up to penetrate the envelope up?

There is a nipple at the back end of the orb, that is used to release the gas. Personally, I wouldn't be game enough to do it myself, because you still have to break some glass to do it...

David