Verizon DSL Offer,current subscribers please read.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was posted in the Boston Globe but I assume it's a nationwide offer. Verizon is now offering DSL service for $35 a month with 1.5meg download and I think probably the upload is the same at 128K. Now I was paying $40 a month for 768K download. I called them up and they are switching me over on the 21st so I will double my speed for $5 less per month. Maybe there are other Verizon DSL forum members who might be able to take advantage of this. The only downside is that I lose the so many hours a month dial up that I used to have included but I can say the DSL has been pretty reliable the last year and a half or so, sometimes staying up for months at a time so that is hopefully not a loss for me.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Verizon DSL Offer,current subscribers please r

First they checked my line to make sure it qualified and then sent me to billing where they made the switch which as mentioned takes affect a week from tonight on the 21st. Mine currently is 768/128 and I benchmark usually around 720-730 so I hope I will be able to grab most of the 1.5 meg bandwidth. Worse case, it won't be any slower and it will be five dollars cheaper.

BF Hammer

Enlightened

I think I need to check into this. I have the "slow" residential DSL service, but I still buy the extra dial-up hours because I use my notebook computer for work on the road. I'm a little leary of requesting a service change from Verizon since my experience last fall with their DSL repair service. After I was assured that their modems never fail, I had to wait 3 days and burn a vacation day for a service tech to verify that my modem did indeed fail. I then waited another week for the replacement to be shipped to me because Verizon doesn't provide replacement modems for the techs to carry, and they absolutely don't ship by overnight air, even if their own poor service puts me out for 2 weeks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif OK, enough of that rant.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks geepondy! I'll check into price/avail for my area South of Boston. I remembered glancing at a similar offer, but I could have sworn the $35 was only for a few "first months" then up to much higher than the Comcast cablemodem charge.

[edit] I see it's a new low price as of yesterday. OK. I'm leery of Verizon's service, but I'm sure going to check into this.

One service thing to consider is whether they'll deal with filtering for your analog phone. I've read of line noise troubles on some DSL services, which is entirely plausible since it's simply trying to use the same line but just out of band of the ~8KHz analog range.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm north of Boston. Yes, in the installation kit you get the modem and several line filters that you attach your phones and regular dial up modem to, should that apply. At least that was the case two and a half years ago. Also I don't know if things have changed but you have to install a set up program for the PC that uses the winpoet software and hence you have to log into using your user name and password to access the DSL. I bought a $50 router/switch that I just had to set up the first time and now it handles the winpoet part as well as the login so I just attach any computer to the router without having to install any special DSL software to.

If you already have DSL then the change is just a switch at the office.

Floating Spots

Enlightened

Mine doesn't use PPPoE, it seems to be MAC authenticated.
Their service must vary widely by location.
They don't offer 1.5Mbs here...

I do know that I have had three very bad tech support sessions with their 1st level support. I couldn't get my problem elevated. (Service intermittent with the authentication light showing no connection/authentication. Somehow this is on my end? I don't think so...) Finally it did and I have the number for the second level techs. If you go with Verizon, keep this number: 1-866-281-5763

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I took the plunge this morning and signed up for Verizon DSL. $35 p/m with the first month free and a $25 Mastercard. MSN 8 is also included.

I've been totally fed up with my dial-up service (AOL) in the last few weeks. I lose the connection in nearly every session. I haven't added/deleted any software/hardware in over a year and this problem is new. I've tried 6 alternative access numbers to no avail. I'm firmly convinced it's an AOL problem because they are posting do's & dont's about it on their opening screen. No wonder they lose 6,000 to 8,000 customers a week.

As soon as I get my DSL kit and install it, I know my life will be simplified /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Marty

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just to let people know, the upgrade went as promised and was completely transparent. Double the speed for five dollars cheaper.

Latest posts