G2 Drop in for UK Sea Kayaker?

Martin SH

Newly Enlightened
Having recently caught the torch (flashlight) bug I am interested in getting something to carry when I am sea kayaking.

Whilst I have a Fenix LD20/10 and a SF 6P/M60 I would like something that is not aluminium to resist the salt water. The closest I can find is the SureFire Nitrolon G2 in Yellow! Knowing how weak the stock bulb is I would like to use a drop in, but I understand the M60 would generate too much heat. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I would also like some control of power can I use the McC2S in the G2?

The SOS feature of the Fenix would have been nice, but I understand there is no way to achieve this?

Thanks

Martin

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The 6P/G2 twist switch sucks in water when its tightened and unscrewed (cycled on/off/on). Not a LOT of water mind you, but enough to make me to recommend something else. It doesn't need to be fully submerged either, anyone can replicate this by running their 6P under the faucet, turning it off few twists and watch as the collected water gets sucked inside. Closely inspecting the threads once the cap is removed, and you can see water thats seeped past the O-ring. The body is a rigid incompressible cylinder, it creates a vacuum when the cap is unscrewed. IMHO a SF with a click switch would fare better.

IMHO a dive light would be better in those conditions. pelican, underwater kinetics are two off the top of my head.

I went sea kyaking a few times its a lot of fun. that would be really fun at night.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I agree. Best to use a dive-rated light, such as those made by Pelican, Underwater Kinetics, or Princeton Tec.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you absolutely have to have a Surefire, they do make a waterproof model - the SF 6PN.

That said, I'd have to agree on a dive-rated model for what you're describing.

-Trevor

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big thumbs up for kayaking.:thumbsup: What's your price range? There's a lot of nice titanium stuff out there right now.

jaundice

Enlightened
I'm a huge fan of the G2/G3 and a Malkoff drop-in. In fact, I started a thread here a while ago about it.

I run an M60 in a G3 with a G2l aluminum bezel in place of the stock nitrolon bezel. The word around CPF is that the aluminum bezel allows for the unrestricted use of a M60. However, this doesn't help you with your aluminimun corrosion issue. I would recommend an aftermarket stainless steel bezel from Lighthound (http://www.lighthound.com/Lighthoun...Head-for-SureFire-and-other-lights_p_985.html).

As for a switch, I use a surefire clickie, but again, it's aluminum. I don't know of any steel switches.

Good luck!

-John

Martin SH

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone for their help..... It looks like a dive light is the answer....something the size of the G2?

I will do some research.

Martin

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some dropins that are thermally regulated. So that if you use them in a light like the G2 they will drop output before the led is damaged by the heat (in theory). Supposedly the SureFire LED dropin has this feature. I've spoken to one person who remarked that the regulator board would have to be very well heatsinked with the led for this to work. Chances are that it works with the SF unit as Surefire has the resources to throw behind it to make it work, but some others maybe not. It may warrant looking into.

Just a thought though: How about a headlamp, night paddling... alpine starts.:)

Last edited:

roadie

Enlightened
if u dun mind the weight, my recommendation is the UK SL6 .... 200 lumens, on 6 C cells batteries, some buget divers use it as a cheaper alternative main light or so i heard.

i still got it, reserving it for purely watersports like kayaking or wet weather hiking/camping.

Martin SH

Newly Enlightened
if u dun mind the weight, my recommendation is the UK SL6 .... 200 lumens, on 6 C cells batteries, some buget divers use it as a cheaper alternative main light or so i heard.

i still got it, reserving it for purely watersports like kayaking or wet weather hiking/camping.

I am afraid 6 C cells is a bit too much. I do a lot of extended trips so weight and space are at a premium.

Thanks

Martin

Scourie

Enlightened
If you're wedded to the idea of the the G2, why not buy one of the 5 mode memory drop-in's off ebay. Typically they state 295 or 300 lumen, and while not as bright as that, they not too shabby.

Rob

Kestrel

Flashaholic
If you're wedded to the idea of the the G2, why not buy one of the 5 mode memory drop-in's off ebay. Typically they state 295 or 300 lumen, and while not as bright as that, they not too shabby.
Not a bad idea. If you do end up going with the G2, don't forget to add a second o-ring to the empty groove next to the first tailcap o-ring. What about a G3 for the extra runtime? 2x17500's will give 2x the runtime over 2xRCR123's. My two cents.

roadie

Enlightened
rechargeable on long trips?

how is one is going to charge lions in the wild or at the middle of the sea .... -_-