HDS Systems        
Page 1 of 22 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: MagLite upgraded to a Rebel!! (pics in post 34)

Exclamation MagLite upgraded to a Rebel!! (pics in post 34)

While at Lowe's tonight checking for the Remington headlamp, I happened to look down at the Mag's. And what do I see, but Rebel LED's in the 2D and 3D models!! They were stamped with "060", which suggests to me that they were Rebel 60's.

Should focus into a tighter spot now.
    Last edited by Marduke; 01-31-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Default Re: MagLite upgraded to a Rebel!!

Marduke,

Not funny

Don't get our hopes up just to dash 'em. You would have bought one and posted pics by now if they were there and you were a good flashaholic

I will be down there tomorrow to check it out
    -Goatee

Thinking Re: MagLite upgraded to a Rebel!!

thats not good...that couldn't be good...
    unless they managed to put in a bigger heatsink or modified the reflector

I'm not joking. I didn't have a camera with me, and I didn't feel like shelling out $31 for something that is still crappier than what I already have.

If I get back that way tomorrow I'll take the camera.

Of course if someone wanted to donate the $$, I'd be more than happy to buy one and compare it to the old 2D MagLED.

I didn't accuse you of joking, but I can't help but to shudder thinking what sort of beam profile a stock SMO PR reflector + rebel looks like

Quote Originally Posted by Illum_the_nation View Post
    I didn't accuse you of joking, but I can't help but to shudder thinking what sort of beam profile a stock SMO PR reflector + rebel looks like
    I bet it isn't bad at all. Really. I have Rebel lights with SMO reflectors and they're fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    I'm not joking. I didn't have a camera with me, and I didn't feel like shelling out $31 for something that is still crappier than what I already have.

If I get back that way tomorrow I'll take the camera.

Of course if someone wanted to donate the $$, I'd be more than happy to buy one and compare it to the old 2D MagLED.
    -Goatee

WHAT!

Maglite using relatively new parts???

How Is This Possible?!?!

I must see next time I'm around a MagLED.

How does the Rebel 060 compare in efficiency to the Lux 3 now used?

Quote Originally Posted by metlarules View Post
    How does the Rebel 060 compare in efficiency to the Lux 3 now used?
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=156772

Not as good as you might think. They might as well have used a Cree P2

Unenlightened

I modded my 3d mag with a rebel. The first two batteries from the tailcap end got corroded. I chopped the body down so one battery could be used, put in a driver and put the rebel in. The reflector does work very nice and it is a good thrower. I wish I knew how to post pictures. Although it would have to go in the mod forum. Just my 2 cents, rebel in a mag reflector worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner12 View Post
    WHAT!

Maglite using relatively new parts???

How Is This Possible?!?!

I must see next time I'm around a MagLED.
    low BIN rebels are nothing to really get excited over from a brightness standpoint (IMHO). Although the color tint is really good. The ROV sportsman 2AA lights use rebel 50 (or 60 I can't remember). Its still one of my best lights as far as tint and beam smoothness/quality are concerned.
    Last edited by kramer5150; 01-30-2009 at 10:20 PM.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    While at Lowe's tonight checking for the Remington headlamp, I happened to look down at the Mag's. And what do I see, but Rebel LED's in the 2D and 3D models!! They were stamped with "060", which suggests to me that they were Rebel 60's.

Should focus into a tighter spot now.
    I don't suppose there's any chance it was an upside down "090"? Yeah, I know, not likely. Would've been better if they used a TFFC K2. Although I am interested in seeing how a Rebel performs in a MiniMagLED...

I wonder if this means we are going to see a clearance sale on the Lux 3 Maglites. While not even close to current technology,they make excellent runtime/emergency lights.

Flashaholic

maybe maglite is finnaly upgrading
    yeah i bought another one... the last one just wasnt what i was looking for

Quote Originally Posted by ozner1991 View Post

maybe maglite is finnaly upgrading
    From 2 generations ago to 1 generation ago.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
    From 2 generations ago to 1 generation ago.
    So much for "not jumping on new and unproven LED fads", as they said when asked about LED technology...

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    low BIN rebels are nothing to really get excited over from a brightness standpoint (IMHO). Although the color tint is really good. The ROV sportsman 2AA lights use rebel 50 (or 60 I can't remember). Its still one of my best lights as far as tint and beam smoothness/quality are concerned.
    I know it is probably a lower binned Rebel, but it's still a Rebel none the less.

Humm, I wonder where they got the idea to change...

I wonder if you have a C or D cell mag with a lux 3 if they have the PR based Rebel available yet or do you have to buy the whole light with it?

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    The ROV sportsman 2AA lights use rebel 50 (or 60 I can't remember).
    I assume you are referring to the 3W versions of the ROV Sportsman Xtreme lights.

1W versions (at least the ones I have) have Lux I's in them.

i wonder if the regulation is different.
    Fenix: TK10, P2D Q5, LD01, L0P-SE, Nitecore D10, Inova X5, Surefire G2, Mag ROP-LE, Quark AA-Neutral

Thumbs down Re: MagLite upgraded to a Rebel!!

Bad news indeed. The logical choice would have been to go to a TFFC K2. Very disappointing.
    On the other hand, maybe they changed the circuit? Someone will have to get one of these new MagLED's and check current at the LED etc.,

I looked, but they did not have the individual LED upgrade units for sale. The MiniMagLED's were still all Lux 3's. All of thier MagLED products were on sale/clearance to some extent.

interesting.. good eye

Quote Originally Posted by Cydonia View Post
    Bad news indeed. The logical choice would have been to go to a TFFC K2. Very disappointing.
    On the other hand, maybe they changed the circuit? Someone will have to get one of these new MagLED's and check current at the LED etc.,
    Yes and no. The K2 creates lots of heat when running at full power, and as we all know the Mag design is horrible at dissipating heat away and then throttles back making all that possible horsepower useless. It would be like putting 155/80/12 Geo Metro tires on a Ferrari.

I think the 0100 would be a better option, or a Seoul p4. Too bad they botched the design from the start.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroz View Post
    Yes and no. The K2 creates lots of heat when running at full power, and as we all know the Mag design is horrible at dissipating heat away and then throttles back making all that possible horsepower useless. It would be like putting 155/80/12 Geo Metro tires on a Ferrari.

I think the 0100 would be a better option, or a Seoul p4. Too bad they botched the design from the start.
    I thought that the K2 was supposed to be more robust at handling heat?Considering the design limitations with no heatsinking the LED isn't going to be driven hard for very long anyway.With all the problems TerraLUX had with Seouls from the start I can't see how they would be a better option in a light without heatsinking.The Rebel 60 sounds like a cost effective solution for Mag but I also would rather have the TFFC K2.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMZ67 View Post
    I thought that the K2 was supposed to be more robust at handling heat?Considering the design limitations with no heatsinking the LED isn't going to be driven hard for very long anyway.With all the problems TerraLUX had with Seouls from the start I can't see how they would be a better option in a light without heatsinking.The Rebel 60 sounds like a cost effective solution for Mag but I also would rather have the TFFC K2.

To ring out the maximum lumens from a K2 you have to push them at 1.5 amps, and these things generate some serious heat. I have one in a Mag and must say I love the tint. It does focus to a needle point but does not have any spill, the Seoul give a good combination of both and a decent tint if you get the right bin.

The K2 TFFC's should be able to handle the heat better, but at the same time they put off alot of heat which will cause the module to throttle back the current which equals a dimmer light. Don't get me wrong, I love the Philips/Lumileds LEDs but they have been surpassed IMO by Cree and Seoul. I wish they would get back in the game.

My Home Depot has 2D Mag-leds with Rebels, and since a package was already open, I took it out and checked it out today. (sorry no camera)

First thing - The old packaging had a picture that showed the LED module and a PR incan module with arrows indicating one could swap them: on the newer Rebel models, this pictures is gone.....

.....because as far as I can tell the Rebel LED module is not removeable . There is no screw-on collar like the old ones had. In fact, I even went at it with a pair of pliers to see if I could pull it out, but had no luck.

The light is still focusable however.

I'm willing to bet this new module and its inability to be removed and swapped are a cost savings from Mag instead of any real upgrade.

Sounds like they used epoxy to hold the emitter down. Just a guess.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by p1fiend View Post
    My Home Depot has 2D Mag-leds with Rebels, and since a package was already open, I took it out and checked it out today. (sorry no camera)

First thing - The old packaging had a picture that showed the LED module and a PR incan module with arrows indicating one could swap them: on the newer Rebel models, this pictures is gone.....

.....because as far as I can tell the Rebel LED module is not removeable . There is no screw-on collar like the old ones had. In fact, I even went at it with a pair of pliers to see if I could pull it out, but had no luck.

The light is still focusable however.

I'm willing to bet this new module and its inability to be removed and swapped are a cost savings from Mag instead of any real upgrade.
    That's too bad But do you think it's possible that they improved the heat sinking?

Page 1 of 22 1234567811 ... LastLast