Is Smith & Wesson Galaxy LED Light Crap?

Hello,

My first post at this forum. Just wanted to say hello. I am recently getting into flashlights and have a large collection of crappy flashlights and looking to slowly transition into something better. Can't afford a surefire right now, but maybe one day.

Anyhow, I have a $25.00 gift certificate for BIG 5 Sporting Goods and wanted a flashlight but their selection isn't really all that great. Just maglights and Smith & Wessons.

They have a Smith & Wesson 12 LED Flashlight for sale for 20 bucks. It has 8 white LEDS, 2 Red and 2 Green. It looks cool and I like that it has multicolor LEDS, but I don't know if the light itself is pure crap. I've always wanted a multi-color LED flashlight.

Considering I have a gift certificate, it wouldn't be money out of my pocket. So I'm not worried too much if it turns out to be a mediocre flashlight, which I'm sure it is. Just wouldn't want it to be total crap.

So I searched the forums before I posted this. I found old references to the OLD models of Galaxy (without the multi color green and red led options). So just wondering if anyone else has this flashlight and their opinions?

Here's the link to BIG 5's link for the flashlight.

http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal....2793&listingid=-2090315382&pretailerid=-98565

Thanks for any help. If it's crap, I'll just buy a sleeping bag or one of their big Jeep rambo knives or something and wait for a better opportunity.

E1B

Newly Enlightened
a buddy of mine has one, its not a bad light. 3 AAA batterys means cheap and availble power, its not a good thrower but it is a bit floody red leds to keep you night vision and green for blood/ map reading.....i believe?
decent quality/ ruggedness good light to get your feet wet with worth 15-20 bones

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I haven't seen/used this light, but I can see it's just a multi-5mm showerhead config, and the 3xAAA battery config is a big no-no when it comes to decent flashlight design. If you just want a novelty light to toy with, it's probably what you're looking for, but don't expect it to be very useful or long-lasting.

If I had a gift card to Big5 I think I'd use it on something else; Titanium utensils/cookware, firestarter equipment, their selection of shoes is above average..

If you want a more serious colored LED light, look into Peak LED Solutions and/or TerraLUX Colored LED drop-ins for Mags/MiniMags

captainKrunch

Newly Enlightened
If they don't have squat then lean towards an LED maglite. I would imagine they have those there. You can always modify it later, but I would take an LED maglite over some multi led 5mm array. Like the other poster stated...toy. Start thinking "no more crappy flashlights"

Pop your flashlight cherry and check out the marketplace...there is a guy with ebay links to get a Surefire G2L for $31 delivers US and the 6PL for $41. I realize your giftcard won't work on Ebay but you must have a few bucks

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Some stores sell Pelican, although its hit or miss. I passed up on an M1 (1xCR123). It was only $25 on sale, I should have snagged it:mecry: