Dereelight MC-E users: RCR123 or 18650?

jblackwood

Enlightened
So I've had my MC-E (DBS v.3) for about 3 weeks. I love using it and it took about 1 week for me to order the new CR123A rechargables that AW put out recently. *They can all be found in his thread for lithium batteries in the marketplace, I'll link on request but I don't think it's necessary.*

Anyways, it took two weeks but I got them tonight. I love being able to run my (little) monster without having to use the extender. I was wondering if anyone out there had tried both configurations and found any benefits to using two 18650's besides having greater heft? I imagine the run time is greater as well, but by how much? I'm posting here hoping to get real people's experiences. Thanks.:touche:

gchronis

Newly Enlightened
2 x 18650......High: 1:40 - 1:50.......Medium: 5:00.....Low: 16:00

I believe 2 x RCR123 will last about an hour, but I can't confirm that. Output should be about the same, but again, I can't confirm that (though I'd be very surprised if someone could tell without an instrument).

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using IMR16340s as when the MC-E pill was first offered there was some question as to whether RCR123s could handle the current draw and provide full power during use. Per Flashcrazy the IMR16340s last 25 mins, AW RCR123s are stated as 30 mins. I don't run them to the time limit and rotate them frequently.

For me the beauty of the DBS/MC-E combo is it's pocketability, power and 3 light levels. The 2x18650 extension is great for long runtime but the light is no longer compact.

I've asked Alan at Dereelight about a 2x18500 extension and he is considering it. This would be the perfect balance of size and runtime if it happens.

For now, I'll continue to use the IMR16340s unless I need extended use.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Update:
My runtime with the two 18650's was consistently over one hour and forty-five minutes. With the two RCR123's, it never got past 42 minutes. Most times, the light or the protection circuit on the batteries would cut it off just past 35 minutes. Three times, though, the light got to 40, then 42, then 40 minutes.

Just for those of you who still care.:crazy:

electric sheep

Enlightened
Primaries are a waste of time but i have yet to try RC123's. Primaries give PVM whine and noticeable flicker after a few minutes(no idea why?) Two 18650's has no whine or flicker but this is the 2.4a version. Perhaps 2.4a is to much for 123's?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the runtime with 2 18650's going to be a FLAT FLAT FLAT regulation or is it going to be a slightly sloping regulation.

I've always noticed rcr123's have flat (but shorter) runtime verses 18650 batteries in the same lights.

I don't like it.

chew socks

Newly Enlightened
Just for those of you who still care.:crazy:

Oh, me, me....I care! I'm trying to decide what the next light i'm going to buy (I think in like 4 months for my birthday). I really want to get a DBS, just cause i love it so much. So i was thinking i would get an R2 and an MC-E pill so that i could have flood and throw. But know that the Tiablo A10 and ACE came out i'm starting to reconsider. So to help decide, i've got some questions:

1.Can the DBS MC-E pill be run in the SMO reflector?
2.Whats the throw like on the MC-E pill?
3.Will i be missing out on throw if i get a DBS R2 instead of an A10?
4.Most important of all, is it possible to buy the A10, and put an ACE pill in it instead of buying a whole new light?

Thanks for all the wonderful input!

gchronis

Newly Enlightened
4.Most important of all, is it possible to buy the A10, and put an ACE pill in it instead of buying a whole new light?

1. Yes, but the results are awful, to the point that it is unusable, so in practice: no.

2. I'm pretty sure someone has posted this data, but I don't remember where. Flashcrazy would know for sure.

3. Dunno, but the consensus of other is that yes. I have the DBS and I'm happy, but not the A10.

4. Dunno.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, me, me....I care! I'm trying to decide what the next light i'm going to buy (I think in like 4 months for my birthday). I really want to get a DBS, just cause i love it so much. So i was thinking i would get an R2 and an MC-E pill so that i could have flood and throw. But know that the Tiablo A10 and ACE came out i'm starting to reconsider. So to help decide, i've got some questions:

#4 is definitely YES!

jblackwood

Enlightened
Oh, me, me....I care! I'm trying to decide what the next light i'm going to buy (I think in like 4 months for my birthday).

The biggest reason I got so into Dereelights is because I know when a newer, more efficient emitter is put out, I can order it and have a whole new light for less than half of other entirely new lights. I'm pretty sure that's why people like Surefires and Malkoff drop-ins so much (BTW, my M60 is SO great in my CL1H, and I didn't have to spend $40 extra for a Z59 tailcap like I would if I were going the same route with a Surefire L6).

It's cool to get excited and such right now, but in 4 months, there will be more technology . . . I'll go on the record right now and predict Dereelight puts out P7 pills or maybe Quad-die P7! Hehe.

Don't get me wrong, if I won the Lotto, I'd order a Spear and a Tiablo A10 AND ACE tomorrow, all from 4Sevens. Just keep in mind how easy it is to upgrade (and clean and service) the Dereelights. You can access every aspect of the lights and they don't feel cheap like some SF fans claim all chinese lights feel (they must be talking about DX lights). Nothing against SF, I even have one and I like it for what it is, I just prefer the CL1H in my hand, not to mention I prefer it's styling. Also, you don't have to bore it out to fit an 18650. AND, you can't beat the clip on the CL1H. It's removable but even with it attached, you can put use L6-size holsters.

I hope I can last 4 months without getting a totally new light. I'm about to attach trits to my two D10's.
I know it's corny to say it, but lovecpf

Last edited: