madmax questions and observations

jkthomson

Newly Enlightened
First off, I love my 3 madmaxes! I bought 1 several months ago, and loved it so much that I got a RB and a Q3L upgraded MM as well.

Why do people like the BB400/500 series over the MM? I know I wanted the brightest luxeon I could get, as I would be using rechargeables anyway, so I could always charge up every few days if I use it a lot.

if you adjust the trimpot so that it is of comparable brightness to a BB, won't the brightness/runtime be mostly the same anyway? I understand the MM starts off brightest, but dims over time...

I don't know if I got lucky with my first madmax, but the one with the Q3L upgrade is pretty much the exact same brightness as the original one I bought. I've tried a few informal tests, and just cannot really tell them apart. Other than a warmer light and green-ish spill, the two madmaxes are identical in brightness, as far as I can tell. Anybody have a different experience?

I'll be watching the MM+ threads with some interest! I wonder how much brighter or how much more throw the MM+ will be?

Thanks, Wayne, for making such great little chunks of technology!

Dave Wright

Enlightened
I started out buying BB400s on account of their longer runtime and tabletop flat regulation. After getting one MadMax I have similar feelings to yours. The MM regulates well enough, is adjustable if you really need, and draws more power from the batteries.

The only concern I have is if the MM will draw rechargeables so far down that they reverse polarity. I'm guessing not. Anyone know for sure?

Right now my MM is riding in a 1xAA Minimag. It was pretty simple to make. Whack the length of one AA battery off the end of the 2xAA body. Smooth the end. Drill it out to 5/8" diameter for 1/8" depth or so. Tap the tube with fresh 5/8x28 threads. Drop in a battery, screw the tail cap back on, and you're in business. I'll post brightness and runtime figures for various battery types when I get around to it. It's a very useful light. Almost full brightness but much more pocketable.

Enjoy the sandwiches. My plan is to order a MM+Q3 as soon as Wayne puts them up on the site.