How to do a perfect circle GITD powder. DID IT - PICS

erlon

Newly Enlightened
Hello all.

I always admire that perfect circle GITD around mod Mags but I do not have an idea how to do it.

I bought already some GITD powder and now I want to this in a Solarforce L900M that my friend received.

If someone, please, give me a light how to do it, I´ll really appreciate.

Thanks !

Last edited:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How to do a perfect circle GITD powder.

Whenever I've added glow epoxy to a light, it's usually been around an LED on a heatsink. Usually the LED sits ona circular raised pedestal. I would use some Scotch tape to tape around the pedestal carefully to make a "bowl" for the glow epoxy. I would also use a piece of heatshrink (unshrunk, just a tube sticking up) around the LED dome just to make sure I didn't drip any epoxy on it. After I mixed up the glow epoxy, I would carefully dribble it into the "bowl" in little batches. It would mostly level itself. Just fill to the proper level. Sometimes, actually most of the time, I would hit one of the edges as it was dribbling in and run down the side of the "bowl". That always leaves a little trail but is easily cleaned up later.

Once the epoxy sets, you can pull off the outer edge tape and the inner edge shrink tube, and you have a pefectly round glow dot. The trails mentioned earlier may come off with the tape or may be left behind sticking up out of the nice even top. The good thing is they are usually pretty thin and can easily be cut off with a razor blade or exacto knife. If you pour the epoxy a little too high, it can be sanded down with a Deremel tool, but be careful not to hit the LED dome.

erlon

Newly Enlightened

Hey Don, thanks a lot for your tips...

I was totally lost about how to do it, now I´m not anymore.

I´ll try to do this way... If I do it right, I came back here to post some pics.

Thanks one more time!!!

Regards,

Erlon

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Erlon

Don had some great pointers!! I often mix the epoxy in a glad bag and add the Glow powder to the epoxy in the bag kneading it until mixed. I then cut a very small hole in a corner after working everything to that corner. It doesn't take much of a hole, you can then use the baggy as a cake decoration bag and it is a easy way to dribble the epoxy into the bowel Don spoke of.

Also I would use something longer than two minute epoxy since that might rush you a bit.

Dave

erlon

Newly Enlightened

Thanks GreenLED and DAVE.

I´ll try it, of course, if my friend aloud me and be the responsible for whatever happens during the process :p

Regards,

Erlon

erlon

Newly Enlightened

Ok, I did it :D

Not perfect as I would like, but not to bad for a first time...

In the L900M I used the Pure Blue in the Ultrafire´s 501B I used Green V10

l900mgitdsn5.jpg

gitdsnf4.jpg

Thanks for your help Guys. :wave: :thumbsup: lovecpf

Last edited:

netprince

Enlightened
I just tried this, mine didn't turn out nearly as good as yours. Can I ask a few questions...

Are you supposed to remove the heatshrink tube and tape at a certain time? (I guess now, before the epoxy has fully set) When I pulled mine out, some of the epoxy stuck to it and left a small rip in the circle.

Also, I guess now that I'm supposed to put as little glow+epoxy as possible? But then my wires would show, so how come I cant see your wires?

Thanks!

greenLED

Flashaholic
I just tried this, mine didn't turn out nearly as good as yours. Can I ask a few questions...

Are you supposed to remove the heatshrink tube and tape at a certain time? (I guess now, before the epoxy has fully set) When I pulled mine out, some of the epoxy stuck to it and left a small rip in the circle.

Also, I guess now that I'm supposed to put as little glow+epoxy as possible? But then my wires would show, so how come I cant see your wires?

Thanks!
I leave the scotch tape on, until the epoxy is fully cured. Be sure to use good quality scotch tape; I learned the hard way that the goo on the cheap kind sort of dissolves with the epoxy... :green:

You put as much or as little as you need/want. It all depends on how much room you have to work with.