Anyone ever disassemble a 2AA MagLED?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I picked up a 2AA MagLED today hoping I can use it as a host for another LED, but it looks like the LED module is crimped into the tube somehow. Has anyone managed to extract the LED module without destroying it?

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a 2AA MagLED today hoping I can use it as a host for another LED, but it looks like the LED module is crimped into the tube somehow. Has anyone managed to extract the LED module without destroying it?
I had disassembled one quite a while back. Thankfully, I saved the write up I did on it so I could go back and double check my memory. If all you need to do is remove the LED module, it just pops out. For disassembly, first remove the batteries and the head. Then I used two small screwdrivers to push down on the metal case of the LED module where it is visible through the slots in the plastic retainer. It took a fair amount of force, but when it popped loose the module just dropped out the bottom.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's two main parts that have to be seperated to remove the module. The module itself that the LED is part of is the metal you can see through the "holes" in the black plastic part visible around the LED. Once the tailcap is off and the batteries are out, put the tail opening on the table and use two thin bladed screwdrivers to push down on the metal spots. The plastic cap will stay on the end and the metal LED module will be pushed out the bottom of the light.