This weekend's project - Making a Cheap LED Night-Light Useful

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problem: Need a light in the bathroom that can run 24/7 and provide enough light to be able to use the bathroom in the middle of the night without having to turn a light on, but not so much light as to cause an annoyance while trying to sleep in the adjoining bedroom.

I purchased a couple of "el cheapo" LED night-lights at COSCO (I think) a couple of years ago. These almost do the job, but they are just not bright enough and the green light is somewhat disorienting at night.

Solution: SSC High-CRI S2 Bin 3000k emitter to the rescue...

Here's the before shots:
BeforeFront.jpg
beforeSide.jpg
beforeRear.jpg

Separated the front face plate from the chassis. The two halves were glued together, I had to break them apart by prying with a small screwdriver.
Step1.1.jpg
Step6.1.jpg

Removed the diffuser.
Step2.1.jpg
Step2.2.jpg

Here's the diffuser on it's own. The OG green LED used to rest inside this notch.
Step2.4.jpg
Step2.3.jpg

Cut away a section of this reflective tape, to be used on the opposite side to cover up the old emitter garage.
Step2.5.jpg
Step2.6.jpg

Cut a new notch in the top of the diffuser to fit the dome of the SSC.
Step3.1.jpg

These thingies used to hold the diffuser in place. These need to go to make room for the heat sink and new emitter
Step4.2.jpg
Step5.1.jpg

Since the SSC emitter is larger in diameter than the space inside the chassis. I cut a notch in the chassis, for the side of the emitter to fit into. Before I did this I cut down some U-shaped brass stock to use as a heat sink.
Step5.2.jpg

Used thermal epoxy to attach the new emitter to the heat sink, then set in place with the diffuser.
Step7.1.jpg
Step7.2.jpg

Now I need to make room on the face-place side. It was my original intention to just hog out enough material behind the face-plate so that the emitter and heat sink would be be able to fit inside. I slipped and accidentally cut all the way through the face plate, so I had to remove the entire area.
Step6.2.jpg
Step6.4.jpg

Wire everything up.
Step8.1.jpg
Step8.2.jpg

Reassemble.
Step9.1.jpg

Made a secondary heat sink, to fill the gaping hole in the face-plate.
Step10.1.jpg
Step10.2.jpg
Step10.3.jpg

You can see the side of the SSC poking out through the relief I cut in the rear of the chassis.
Step11.1.jpg
Step11.2.jpg

Before vs. After
LightsOn.jpg
LightsOff.jpg
LightsOff2.jpg

Here's a shot of the light that leaks out the rear relief cut. It sort of creates a backlit glow effect.
GroundFX.jpg
GroundFXRear.jpg

End.
End.jpg

Last edited:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: This weekend's project - Making a Cheap LED Night-Light Usefull (A Pictorial)

Reserved.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: This weekend's project - Making a Cheap LED Night-Light Usefull (A Pictorial)

Nice. Did you measure the voltage the original LED was getting and match it with the Vf of the bin you used?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would imagine the Vf would be low and underdriving the Seoul.

Look at the original crap emitter used

Could be wrong though..

Nice...BIG improvement!

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I did measure. 2.99V

Yes, under-driving the SSC. Wouldn't want it to be any brighter anyway, it's just right for the application.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast

The external heat sink is a total overkill. I meant to just remove some material from underneath the faceplate, so that the internal sink would fit inside. I ended up slipping and cutting all the way through. So, I just cut out the entire aria and inlaied the external sink, just because I had to put something there.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just a note on color. The colors in the photos are not accurate to what is seen in real life. In reality the green LED is as green as green can be i.e. (0,255,0 or 00FF00), in the photo it looks bluish. In the photo the warm white SSC looks more like pink or purple. In reality it puts of a very soothing warm white, slightly peachy glow. It's quite pleasant actually.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: This weekend's project - Making a Cheap LED Night-Light Usefull (Updates)

Updated the original post with my comments and organized the photos.

Calina

Enlightened

If I would make one like this, I would round the heatsink's corners before somebody gets cut on them.

bluecrow76

Enlightened

Very nice project LLCB... thanks for sharing! I've only made one little light for the house and my wife hates it because the emitter is a little blueish (it was a spare Cree P4 I had pulled from another light... didn't want it to go to waste)... she would definitely like your solution. :thumbsup:

Latest posts