Advice for AAA keychain light for staff

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Aloha,

I want to put a fairly powerful AAA, decent quality, budget light on the keychain for my housekeeping and care giver staff.
http://www.halekuike.com/

It needs to be bright enough to light up a stain on the carpet. Shorter run times are not a problem since we use rechargables.

Something in the budget range would be nice so I don't get bummed when one, or two get lost...

Thanks for your suggestions,
Dave

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
It's a work light? Why do you care if it fits on a keychain? Go for a 2aa light, it's much harder to lose.

Martin SH

Newly Enlightened
I have Fenix LD01 it uses a Cree Q5 LED with a maximum of 80 lumens output. It also includes a removable pocket clip. I don't know if that's in your budget but I love it!

There is also a stainless steel version but that is more expensive.

Hope that helps

Martin

Kanai

Newly Enlightened
Hey Supedave, I don't know what your budget is, but I really like my Fenix LD01. It rides on my neck lanyard while I'm on night shift, and it is on my key ring when i'm not working. I normally use Energizer Lithiums or Eneloops. It's bright and batteries last a long time with my use,

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What price range would you like?
I'm guessing a floody type beam would work well?

There's this and this light but I'm not sure how good the quality is. Runtime is pretty short and shipping also takes a while.

Flic

Enlightened
I'd think a Fenix E01 would be great (why not get them engraved with the Staff Member's name?). They are less than $15 and Four Sevens offers unrivaled warranty support. But I'd also get a bunch of the cheap UV Fauxtons to assist with stain detection. I think they are less than a dollar and when the batteries die, it's cheaper to just replace the lights. get 'em by the bag.

sappyg

Enlightened
since cost is a factor and the circumstances of end user neglect is a big concern why not look at the lighthond button cell sqeeze lights. at $0.99 ea. you can afford for one or two to go missing. plus, apt as not, people would think they are'nt worth stealing. these suckers put out more light than most give them credit for. if the battery dies just hand out another.

I'm going to be the evil Newbie devil and say, why not just get some LED mini-maglites or even a solitaire LED with that LED upgrade I saw in another thread that makes it superbright. :devil:

If your budget is limited and you're looking for something that you wouldn't mind if your staff lost, I don't see any better solution. If they lose at 10 or 15 dollar maglite, I don't think anybody is going to care much. If you get your staff a premium light, they're not going to have any clue that it cost you 50 or 60 bucks because let's face it, most folks don't even know that 50 to 100 dollar flashlights exist.

Plus the maglites are going to work on standard AA or AAA batteries and you won't have to worry about buying large cases of CR123 lithiums or some other weird battery.

Just my evil, uninformed newbie opinion. :whistle:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I'm going to be the evil Newbie devil and say, why not just get some LED mini-maglites or even a solitaire LED with that LED upgrade I saw in another thread that makes it superbright. :devil:

Well, the MiniMagLED's are woefully overpriced for what they are. A Fenix E20 would be a much better option there. An upgraded Solitaire is also not worth it. The upgrade alone costs more than a whole new E01 for example.

Well, the MiniMagLED's are woefully overpriced for what they are. A Fenix E20 would be a much better option there. An upgraded Solitaire is also not worth it. The upgrade alone costs more than a whole new E01 for example.

See, that's why the newbie (me) should shut his uninformed piehole... hehehe. Seriously though. I had no idea. I will now shrink back into the darkness... :)

adnj

Enlightened
+1 on the Lighthound $0.99 keychain light. I had one tossed in with an order and it is a great light for backup to the backup.

My sister is a nurse and likes the Streamlight Microstream (about $15). Plenty bright, has a rear momentary switch and comes with a safety neck lanyard that will take an ID card and the key chain.

I lost an L0D (about $40) - that was not a good day. Plus, I wasn't a big fan of the twisty switch.

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info.

We do have a lot of other good lights at work. But, I want something small for the key chains. The staff have enough other stuff to lug around like radios / pagers, etc...and it doesn't make sense to make them carry a 2AA flashlight when they will not use it very often.

Like I said, it needs to be able to put some light on the carpet so they can find stains. The nursing staff might use it for a skin inspection and who knows what else.

The $15 Fenix EO1 is at the high end but not out of reach. Besides price, I'm concerned about output. $10 would be better.

Thanks again,
Dave

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Lighthound $0.99 keychain light. I had one tossed in with an order and it is a great light for backup to the backup.

My sister is a nurse and likes the Streamlight Microstream (about $15). Plenty bright, has a rear momentary switch and comes with a safety neck lanyard that will take an ID card and the key chain.

I lost an L0D (about $40) - that was not a good day. Plus, I wasn't a big fan of the twisty switch.

How does she like the LED instead of the incan bulb? Does she get complaints when checking pupils?