NX-05 Optics-How much light is lost traveling thu?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If light traveling thu a plastic lens looses 15-20% of it's light (I think I read that somewhere here), how much light must be lost traveling thu the NX-05 optics?

Always wanted to ask this question, just never had the time.

ufokillerz

Enlightened
the spec sheets for the nx-05 says 90% efficiency, so that means a perfect nx-05 will have 10% light loss, so its safe to say that there is atleast 10% light loss with the nx-05

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've also found some lenses to be formulated of a plastic that is more "chrystal clear" and make an identicle optic (from another source) look "milky" by comparison.

This phenomenon is hardly noticable to the naked eye. I'll have to see if a digi-cam macro shot could "see" it?

So knowing what I've seen, I'd have to say losses vary between 15 - 20% like your original suspicion..

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, while I prefer the NX-05 to the McFlood, it is obvious that the McFlood is much more efficient than the NX-05.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
BuddTX,

Reflectors loose light too. It is likely that the McFlood is loosing a similar amount of light.

- Don

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
It would seem to me that the NX-05 cannot be compaired to the McFlood, in that the McFlood has only air for a lens.

Also, it appears to me that there is a source of loss that has been missed.....the plastic lens on the led itself! If the led was being designed to be used with the NX-05, why not do away with, or reduce the size of the lens on the led itself. Didn't someone say that the only difference between a 3mm and a 5mm led is the size of the lens....the actual led is the same size?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Roy,

Anything photons encounter will likely absorb some, be it a lens material or reflective surface. You are right about the lens on the LED as well as the goop inside and the phosphor coating and the die itself; all take their cut in photons. Currently, I think the figure is somewhere between 5 and 15% of the photons created even get out of the die. From there on, the attrition adds on. This is why SF will take a Luxeon that has a luminous output of say 110 lumens and make a claim of 80 lumens of output from one of their lights. I guess photons are like sperm; it takes a heap a lot of them for just one to get where it needs to go! Yeah, it doesn't pay to dwell on lofty implications of this as it may relate to flashaholism and our need to throw......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, true statement on the 3 and 5 mm LED's.

- Don

stangster

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
I guess photons are like sperm; it takes a heap a lot of them for just one to get where it needs to go!

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good analogy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys should try it with an NX01 instead. I'm loving the NX01 more and more each time I use it. It's a good compromise between a huge flood and a small spot; you get a wide spot...