How to improve a maglite 4D? What drop-in do I need?

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened
Hi guys!

I already have some nice pocketable lights whitch are really cool, I also have "the Torch" that I bought in my nooby times. Now I want to mod my USELESS maglite into a nice bright "search light". I want output of like 500+ lumens (good lumens) and a good runtime of 1.5 hours MINIMUM on high. Now I never modded anything so I did some research but only can find stuff off 3000+ lumens with like 15 minute runtime, very cool, but I want a usable light. I really need help on items that I can use to mod this maglite. I prefer LED drop ins thingys because I don't like incasendent.
This is what I have found already:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-300.html
http://www.zbattery.com/Maglite-C-D-Clear-Glass-Lens-108-081

Now I need a heatsink... right?
And... maby a stipled reflector?

Where do I get these?

The light is probably mostly going to be used on vacation, but also just around the house shining at stuff.

Thanks for your help!:wave:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Re: How do you mod a maglite 4D? Help needed!

Those large dropins already have an integral heatsink.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

A Drop-in is called a drop-in because it is supposed to "drop right in" with little to no modifications. I don't consider them mods because of their simplicity but that's just me.

The Terralux has an odd beam from what I hear and is meant more for a wider beam and not a powerful thrower.

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened

Well then i'd rather like a drop in then needing to mod it, I just call it a mod because it is not in it's original state.

Gen3Benz

Newly Enlightened

DM51

Flashaholic

Judging from the thread title, and when you posted about needing a heatsink and reflector, I thought you were talking about doing an actual mod, rather than just getting a drop-in. It now seems it's a drop-in you are looking for, so I'll move this back to LED Flashlights and change the thread title.

Last edited:

Cydonia

Enlightened

To get 500 good LED lumens from a 4D Maglite... it will cost you. Malkoff P7 will give you 700+ lumens. $135 US though. But you know it is the best quality period.
Although, when you add in shipping and who-knows-what import taxes to The Netherlands = very expensive :( (If you are rich then it doesn't matter :D )
But when all is said and done... you will probably be better off going this way.
The other Malkoff linked to above by Gen3Benz will not get you anywhere near 500 lumens. More like 200 out the front of the maglight.