What is a "tactical" flashlight?

fireguy

Newly Enlightened
I hear this term, and I did a search trying to find the definition, but came up empty.

What is a "tactical" flashlight. How does it differ from a "regular" flashlight?

camaro09

Enlightened
From my understanding there is a defination for the term "tactical" when it comes to flashlights. I belive some of the criteria is: a certain output, enough to "stun" someone with night adjusted vision. Also I think if there is more than one stage of the light, the high comes on first. The button is extended out past the tailcap for easy axcess. There might be something about a strobe effect I believe. Now dont hold me to this list, I just believe it is some of the things I have read in the past. :shrug: Anyone please correct me if I wrong on any of these or add more if I forgot any.

When I think "tactical" I think of something that military or law enforcement might use.

Everytime I've seen anything labeled as "tactical" it is usually something that looks like a SWAT team member might have or some crazy paintballers dressed in black infiltration gear.

I think of it as something used in Law Enforcement, engaging the enemy, in the field (military, pilots, etc.), something that is rugged, tested, droppable, fairly unbreakable but most importantly, reliable.

"Military" or "Police" use is the first thought in my mind. Guys with Balacava ski masks, in a hostage situation, rappeling down a building comes to mind.

cbxer55

Enlightened
Since the Olight M20 is marketed for military and police use, it would be a good example of a Tactical Flashlight. The ability to hold it "cigar style" for use with a pistol is one definite qualifying attribute to the genre. The ability to turn it on and off momentarily is another good one. A constant on is not a good thing if someone may be pointing a blaster in your direction.
I don't know about most here, but I rarely use incandescant lights anymore. The advent of high-powered, reliable LEDs has made them redundant in my eyes. I gave up incans because I got tired of turning the light on, and the bulb either is already blown, or flashes brightly and blows. Not good to be in a "tactical" situation, and have the frickin bulb blow out.
So reliability has to be high on that list as well. You just know that everytime you hit the switch, it will work. Unless you are a bonehead and let the batteries run out.
bduh.gif

SEE YA!
3.gif

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
Wiki definition:

"A tactical light is a flashlight used in conjunction with a firearm to aid low light target identification and allows the marksman to simultaneously aim and illuminate the target. Tactical lights can be handheld or mounted to the weapon with the light beam parallel to the bore. Tactical lights also serve a role as a method of non-lethal force, used to temporarily blind and disorient targets[1][2]."

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened
Camera09 probably has the best definition. It has to be able to stun a person, it needs to has a forward clicky (for momentary on use), it goes on at high then you can switch to low (if there are multi-modes on the flashlight), probably has to be mountable on a weapon so needs good quality for shock resistans, needs to be(I think) splash and rain -water- proof and probably more, but this is what defines as a tactical flashlight for me.

Hope it helps.:thumbsup:

rtt

Enlightened
It is a flashlight that are used by white wall warriors:grin2:.

pee10755

Newly Enlightened
I think all of the above posts cover the actual operational definitions of tactical light. I work in law enforcement and I am the armorer for an emergency response chemical team. In the world of commerce and government purchasing tactical is a marketing term and can mean a substantial increase in price. Example; a "tactical" door breaching sledge hammer is well over $150 and up the $400. Go to home depot and buy a top of line sledge hammer with a fiberglass handle for about $40. It is just as good as the "tactical." Lights and other gear are very similar. I think you have to define your mission and then seek the most dependable gear best suited to accomplish it. If it is not labeled tactical you will probably save some money.

Last edited:

Skyeye

Enlightened
IMHO, a "Tactical" flashlight is nothing but advertising hype.:nana:

Now a "Tactical Shotgun", that's a different story.:D

These so called tactical gun mounted flashlights are just a way of advertising you as a target. Sort of equavalent to wearing a flashy Rolex while walking through a ghetto.

They look good in the "kill the monster" movies though.:popcorn:

FLT MEDIC

Newly Enlightened
I hear this term, and I did a search trying to find the definition, but came up empty.

What is a "tactical" flashlight. How does it differ from a "regular" flashlight?

IMHO, tactical lights or tactical illumination tools must have:

60 lumens output or more - in the Gladius specfications.pdf file it states a minimum of 60 lumens of light output for tactical and high-risk applications.

"Momentary ON" only switch feature - "Momentary ON" using forward clicky switches (like in my Stinger XT) may prove disastrous during high stress shooting situations where the switch may be unintentionally pressed into "Continuous ON" mode, allowing the missed target to shoot back at the location of the light source that's still ON after the muzzle flash.

Strobe feature to momentarily disorient and/or cause dizziness to suspects - the Bucha effect is a seizure-inducing effect of light flashing at 1 Hz to 20 Hz. It is named after a Dr. Bucha who identified the phenomenon in the 1950s when called upon to investigate a series of similar and unexplained helicopter crashes. Those pilots who had survived reported sudden onset of dizziness and confusion, causing them to lose control of their aircraft. The strobe in my Gladius makes it easier to gently take down friends bashing its strobe feature. ;)

Durable - should survive accidental drops on concrete, rocks, throwing lights to pass to injured people before they can be extracted or to buddies whose light stops operating in the middle of a procedure, etc.

Waterproof - must operate underwater for unintended drops while crossing flooded streets, canals, rivers, not to mention the non-tactical applications like cleaning aquariums, swimming pools, toilets, etc. :D

Properly focused - must be free from dark holes within the beam pattern in order to facilitate threat identification and threat disorientation.

White light - color temperature must be in the white light spectrum whether using LED or an incandescent light source to accurately identify or locate persons or items.

Last edited:

Mercaptan

Enlightened
IMHO, a "Tactical" flashlight is nothing but advertising hype.:nana:

Now a "Tactical Shotgun", that's a different story.:D

These so called tactical gun mounted flashlights are just a way of advertising you as a target. Sort of equavalent to wearing a flashy Rolex while walking through a ghetto.

They look good in the "kill the monster" movies though.:popcorn:

You ugh... you don't do much low-level light shooting or training, do you?

Yeah, weapon mounted lights are stupid. Mmmhmm.

That whole target identification thing is vastly overrated, I suppose.

'Tactical' is now a marketing tool. It isn't a weaponlight, it isn't a handheld light with a strobe - it's a gimmick. Choose the right tool for the job, then use it accordingly; your 'tactics' make items (light, weapon, spork, twinkies) 'tactical,' not vice versa.

Last edited:

loszabo

Enlightened
A flashlight is tactical if FBI/CIA/DEA/Delta Force might have used it eventually... :twothumbs

This schemes works well with bags and blades as well!

Okay, seriously: it is a marketing term in most cases. It reminds me of a tactical version of a 1911 production pistol with only a few minor modifications (e.g. adding a light-rail). Maybe the old SureFire M-series would fit into the genre due to its construction. Weapons-mounted lights as well.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Nobody has quoted PK's definition he gave the CPF party one year outlining what SureFire achieved when they invented the Tactical Light.