First 2 x CR123a light

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why? Because I don't have one!

I've narrowed it down to three lights, which are not really at all similar to one another.

They will be used on CR123a primaries only.

1. Olight T20 Tactical

Pros:
Reputed to be durable and of excellent quality.
Bright, on the high setting, and almost two hours of runtime.
Five levels of brightness.
Forward clickie.
70 hours, more or less of runtime on the low setting.
No strobe or SOS

Cons:
Price
Size & Weight. Might be a bit big to drop in a jeans or jacket pocket.

2. LumaPower Encore

Pros:
Small size, with no spikey Klingon-esque bezel
No strobe or SOS
Three levels, with forward clicky.
Great runtime, or so the reviews woudl suggest.
Very low, low level.
Will take 18650s if I ever decide to go the rechargeable route.
Price

Cons:
High may not really be all that bright.
May not be as durable as the Olight...lighter construction.

3. Solarface L2 Host with Cree R2 drop-in

Pros:

Bright!
Almost two hours of runtime
Price
One level. You can't get any simpler than that.

Cons:
Spikey Klingon-esque bezel will eat clothing, and looks like a weapon.
Quality????
Size and weight may be too much to pocket.

I like all three lights. The Olight seems to be the best, all around, do everything light, from general use, to hiking/camping, to a "tactical light" for the house. The Lumapower seems the best one to slip in the pocket for an EDC type light. The Solarfoce would probably be the best, simple dedicated "tactical" light.

I can justify one of these. Actually, I can justify ALL of them. I just don't want to PAY for all of them.

So which one do I get?

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only one of those I have is the L2, which I have 2 of. Mine has the single mode R2 drop-in and for the money it's a wicked buy! They're very well made for the money, and I'm also impressed with the Solarforce R2. Mine came to about £23 delivered. You also have the option of other P60 type drop-ins like Malkoffs. If you do go with the L2, I'd personally go for the tan coloured one. The black one looks nice enough, but the tan one has much better grip. You can get them without the pointy bezels too. They are a little big for trouser pockets though

Wattnot

Enlightened
You're limiting yourself to just those three? Yikes! Is it the budget? Does anyone have a link to that thread where all of the cheaper lights are rated and compared? I just looked in my subscribed threads and I guess I unsubscribed. That was a good one. I wouldn't even know how to tell you to search. :(

I know it's a lot more money but I take it you don't have an A2? What about all of the other Surefires? They don't have strobes or SOS. Oh, and by the way, you listed "no strobe or sos" under "pros." The LACK of a feature cannot be considered a feature. :oops: :crackup:

Throw these two on your list at least! Both of those take rechargeables (but in different configs). The Champion is available in a non-digital version which will save you some bucks and won't have the strobe/sos. The EagleTac is super bright with only two modes. Both of those are nice and small for 2xcr123.

Did have some success searching . . . here is the first of a SEVEN THREAD series on budget lights. Many of those meet your requirements!

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at this, it takes 2 x CR123s, 1x18650. Its been reviewed HERE

Pros: 2 mode, default is max @ 225 lumens, the other is programmable at ANY level to suit your needs and includes strobes and SOS (should you see the need for it).

Cons: may be a bit difficult to pocket carry but that is a problem with most 2 x CR123 lights

Toaster

Enlightened
Your choices are rather limited if you want a tactical 2xCR123 that is compact and lightweight enough to comfortably EDC. I think the Olight T20-T is the best out of your choices. But if it were me, for the price of two of em I would just get a Surefire E2Dl with F04 diffuser and not look back ;)

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I greatly prefer the 2 CR123 cell Wolf Eyes to the Fenix.
My Wolf Eyes "Sniper" at about 225 lumens out shines my Fenix TK10

pipspeak

Enlightened
What's your budget? You have left out a heck of a lot of outstanding 2-cell lights, but perhaps because they are too expensive? Look at Fenix, cheaper Surefires (6P, G2), Dereelight, Jetbeam.... the list goes on. All make very good 2-cell multi-purpose lights IMO.

From your list I vote for the O-Light.