A Simple "Infinite Variable Output" Mod for Surefire KL-1

jpeg

Enlightened
Hi All,
Let me present to you a mod that's been tumbling around in the back of my head since I discovered the KL-4 was too bright to read a map while driving.
(The video shows a KL-1, but it should work equally well with any head in the Surefire KL series.
Assembly_closeup.jpg

And before somebody jumps on it...OK, no it's not so much a "mod" as an "attachment", but since I like to watch flame-wars, I'm calling it a mod. :)

Sadly I was unable to attend the Bay Area Get Together last time around, though watching the video of JimH setting fire to the front yard was almost like being there.

ANYWAY.... Since I wasn't able to show off my new Ghetto-Mod in person, and I know JimH likes this sort of thing, I made a little video of the project, and put it up on YouTube.
Hopefully I'll be able to show it off in person next time we all meet up.
Meanwhile, enjoy the video!

cheers,
-Jpeg

Last edited:

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats a great "add-on"! I used to put a clear bottle cap on the KL-1 for a diffuser and I think the polarizing filters make a great "dimmer"

I think this is the first time I've seen a CPFer throw their tutorial on Utoob
Gotta say I'm not crazy about the idea, but you did a good job on the video

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted but I guess the forum didn't like it. I think this is pretty cool. No replacement for a solid state solution but very cool.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a great and relatively simple mod that is very useful for up close work where you would not want to lose your night adapted eyesight. :twothumbs

jpeg

Enlightened
Wow, thanks for the enthusiastic feedback!

@ nein166 I'm curious why the lack of love for YouTube? I've been meaning to throw a still up so I think I'll do that...

@ Beamhead: No, definitely NOT EDC material. The polarized lens does look like it has a glass cover, but it's probably not shock resistant, but perhaps with a healthy wrapping of duct-tape... :)

@ maxspeeds: It's been great so far for fiddling around inside my computer.