Made in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

adnj

Enlightened
I am a US citizen that lives abroad.

I see a lot of comments abot "Made in the USA" and wonder if anyone else sees these comments potentially negative to other forum members.

I see members from all over the world and believe that what we say as American citizens may be taken as xenophobic or perhaps eliteist.

I try to buy what will benefit my economy (where ever that is) but soetimes I am put off by vendors on the forum blowig the fife and beating the drum of the Declaration.

bh49

Newly Enlightened
I see a lot of comments abot "Made in the USA" and wonder if anyone else sees these comments potentially negative to other forum members.

I see members from all over the world and believe that what we say as American citizens may be taken as xenophobic or perhaps eliteist.

That can be true, but this concern is secondary for me. IMHO manufacturing in our country is dying, we are loosing well paid jobs and ability to produce goods, which is very dangerous trend from national security point of view. For this reason I am trying my best to buy "US made". Also I have no problem to buy goods made in the countries, which are our allies and friends.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not necessarily .... I see it as being patriotic :)

american lockpicker

Enlightened
I buy mostly stuff thats made in the USA I do it to support the workers here and my ecomomy. When I can't buy something that is made in the USA I look for stuff made in Europe, Canada, or rarely Japan.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are good arguements for buying abroad as well as domestically, but I'll buy local if all else is equal. This supports the local-ish economy, reduces transportation costs and associated greenhouse effects, etc.

Trade with other countries is fine if there is some balance in the trade as well as good treatment of the workers, good environmental practices, good government, etc. in the other country.

Trade with countries like China has been an interesting process. It certainly has helped bring some prosperity to China and some increase in personal freedom. The relationship hasn't been that healthy for the USA economically, and I fear for the value of the dollar if China decides to start unloading the huge amount of US debt that they have purchased.

Purchasing decisions get muddied by the fact that it's hard to tell where stuff really comes from. I work with suppliers that have US engineering offices, but the stuff gets built in Mexico or China. What about a Honda made in Tennessee, or a Chevy made in Mexico? There are lots of shades of grey here.

International trade is a complex subject, but in simple terms, it's not bad to buy locally if only to minimize how far stuff gets shipped.

Life was much simpler back when the village blacksmith was the center of high technology.

Steve K.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
I think for a lot of people (myself included), it's not so much about something being made in the USA as something NOT being made in china...

american lockpicker

Enlightened
I think for a lot of people (myself included), it's not so much about something being made in the USA as something NOT being made in china...

Thats why I started buying Anerican. I can't stand the crap that comes out of China*.

*I know not all Chinese stuff is bad but with the poisoned dog food and numerous human rights violations I feel that my money is better spent(even if the prices are a lot higher) on products from other countries.

alex in germany

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

nothing wrong with the support of your local economy.

I support my country, you support yours, but sometimes i support yours and you suport mine :nana:
As long as there is a balance, there is no problem.

Alex

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever since I was a teen over 20 years ago, I found it to be a sense of pride, buying American-made products. Now it's also economic reasoning for me. I'd rather give my money to American companies that employ Americans. The more money that stays in the U.S., gets spent in the U.S., generating more tax dollars. If I buy a foreign made product, I get a product (say a flashlight for instance), and a foreign company gets my money. The flashlight will eventually wear out, break, become obsolete, or whatever, and the money I spent is profit for a foreign company. That foreign company is competition for American companies. Now I know competition can help create better products and lower prices for consumers, but I'd rather help strengthen American companies that employ Americans. There's just no way I feel that buying foreign made products makes our country better, stronger, or more self sufficient. Especially these days with so many Americans being layed off of their jobs, I'd rather do all I can to help my neighbors and fellow countrymen.
When I buy a product, I try not only to think of how much it costs me, but also how much it will cost our country (in the long run). Sure I understand that it's not always possible to find American made products. But in many cases, why is that? Because people were always looking for something cheaper. Well, you may save a few dollars here and there, but what's the real cost of buying a foreign made product if there's a comparable American made one? Closed factories, people being out of work, having to go on unemployment or other government assistance, higher taxes, lower standards of living, and less control of our own destiny in a way.
Maybe if we as Americans supported American companies that manufactured products here on our own soil, those companies wouldn't be compelled by shrinking profits, to outsource manufacturing to other countries, throwing more of us out of work. The more unemployed people there are, the worse it is for everybody. Society suffers.
None of this is meant as offense to citizens of other countries. I think everyone should do their best to support their local manufacturers, and companies in their own countries. So, if you are from Canada, I think you should do your best to buy Canadian made goods whenever possible and practical. Same goes for Austrailia, Germany, Japan, Great Britain, any country.
Take pride in your country and demostrate your faith in it in your every action. Patriotism is not only waving flags and supporting troops, it's much wider than that. But every bit as important.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

nothing wrong with the support of your local economy.

I support my country, you support yours, but sometimes i support yours and you suport mine :nana:
As long as there is a balance, there is no problem.

Alex

That's the problem as I see it. People are too willing to save a few bucks. These are the people that care little about product quality and economical balance. It's a known fact chinese products are cheaper than comparable US or European products.

People have shifted the balance towards China, quite frankly that's frustrating, people complain our economy is failing while they put every pinched penny into Chinese products.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are the people that care little about product quality and economical balance.

Umm, I'd argue with you on the quality side. Some of the best quality products in the world come out of China. Mind you, those products don't tend to be cheaper than ones made anywhere else. You get what you pay for, no matter where it's made.

I always bought Dr Martins shoes that were made in England and when they moved their manufacture to Asia in 2002, I didn't go out of my way to buying them anymore and sent them a letter to say so.
I guess I wasn't the only one as lately they brought in a new 'Vintage' range that are made back in the old English factory again. They cost about £20 more than the Asian version but I'm happy to pay it, partly for supporting my economy and being patriotic but also because I'm quite a traditional person and like stuff like that.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
alex in germany, I'm with you. Very well said.

65535, what did I miss? Sorry, I know I'm dense, but I don't see anything in his post that refers to Chinese products or saving a few bucks.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Obviously that's a generalization there are definitely good things that are fine coming out of any given country. But the trend is people buying low quality cheap products. Which in my experience mostly say Made in China on the back.

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moderately is fine, but when some members humping on it all day long (while putting down other countries) and telling a newbie from Australia he should buy a light because it's made in u.s. is annoying as hell.

vtunderground

Enlightened
So I've been sitting here trying to figure out what I own that was entirely "Made in USA" - not just made in the USA from foreign components. None of my flashlights are all-American: the aluminum ore was almost certainly mined in Australia, and the LEDs themselves definitely aren't American made. My truck (a Toyota) was assembled in America from American and Mexican parts, but some percentage of the profits went to Japan. My wife's car (a Chevy) is even less American: it was assembled in Canada from Japanese parts. The only furniture I own that was made in America is antique. My mountain bike frame was made in America (again, probably from Australian aluminum), but most of the components were made in China for Japanese and American companies. Lord knows none of the electronics in my house were made in America... if I wanted to buy an American-made TV I wouldn't even know where to start. I can't even guarantee that any of my guns are 100% American - the steel they're made out of was probably of foreign origin (China produces 10 times more iron ore than the United States).

Personally, I'll buy the highest quality I can afford. But the days of products being 100% American are long gone.

Cydonia

Enlightened
It is intended as a quality standard. I'd buy Japanese or German lights if I knew of any good ones that happened to be what I was interested in. It's about quality. And I've never ever seen anything... anything... of high quality that said "made in China" on it. Every item that I have ever laid eyes upon that was made there is made there for One Reason Only - to cut costs, to cut corners and maximise profits. That's just the way it is. So many people are so dumbed down that too many can't tell quality by the look and feel of something anymore. As a perfectionist I demand the best or nothing. As they say, "I'm too poor to afford low quality". Low quality items, no matter what they are or where they are made make me scowl. I don't know what it is. A contempt of cheaply produced items.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I buy as much American as I can since I would like to work in my own country as I age.

CPF hsa this interesting phenomenon of people with locations in the United States buying DOZENS of Chinese made lights, some times completely copies of American lights, and often ask why others are so dumb as to buy American when they could buy a copy for 30% less.

I hang out at CPF less and less now because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.