Strange corrosion in E2E?

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just scraped some white corrosion out of my 4th-generation Z57 and E2 that wasn't there when it went into shelf-queen rotation. It was on the silver ring just inside the threads, which is what seemed to be corroding. There didn't seem to be any corrosion on the body, just accumulation.

No, I haven't been running alkalines in my E2. And no, I haven't had a battery leak. I suspect if I had, I'd have known from the deflagration. So what's eating my light?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pics or it didn't happen. Seriously though without seeing it there is little chance of identification with such little info.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like aluminum oxide? Unprotected aluminum will do that, lube or deoxit will usually prevent any buildup.

Last edited:

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
Package a sample up and send it off to a lab.
We must get to the bottom of this!!!

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL. I'll try to post photos today, but I can't guarantee I'll be able to get a picture to come out.

Illum

Flashaholic
could be the head grinding against the body due to either lack of lube or very dirty lube:eek:

I think My E2e has something like that too...now where did I put that doggone light :thinking:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think so - the lube turns gunky gray, not powdery white. Also, it's in the tailcap, not the head.

Forgot the SD card. Pics later, I swear.

Illum

Flashaholic
if its nyogel and the lube comes out gray or black you know for sure the lubes anti-oxidation properties are working, besides...do you really need anodizing in the threads?

Latest posts