Brinkman led mod possible?

arioch

Enlightened
I was just wondering if anyone has tried to mod either the 2aa or 2D Brinkman led lights? Maybe overdriving or sticking in a LS? Looks like a less expensive platform to work from, and better designed than the real cheap Dorcy type stuff.

Just a wonderin' ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hemingray

Enlightened
I've modified three Brinkmann 2AA "Rebels", two with white
Luxeon Star and micropuck, one with red star direct drive.

This is detailed elsewhere, it basically consists of removing original LED and optics (mounted in a plastic "cup". Mount Luxeon Star LED on the outside end of a 3/4" copper pipe cap. Prepr the cap before arctic silver epoxying the LED, by trimming 1/4 inch off the open end, and drill two small holes to pass the wires to the LED. For white LED: solder orange and green wires to LED, red and black to the + and - terminals in teh bottom of the plastic cup, for red, just wire LED directly to the + and - terminals. The copper pipe cap will press in neatly, do not press it in all the way to the bottom, yet..

Carefully, run a thin bead of "krazy glue" cyanoacrylate adhesive around the inside edge of the Brinkmann plastic bezel. then carefully place NX01 or NX05 optics, centered in the hole - this is almost a perfect fit. Take caution to avoid getting glue on the optics.

After the glue dries, carefully screw the bezel back on, if it hits the LED, reove it and gently press the LED/Pipe Cap in a little bit and try again. Don't use the optics to force the LED down.

This is a nice and easy mod, it will probably take less time to complete it than to read this rambling post. Makes that whimpy little Brinkmann into a mini-blaster.

The original LED circuit and optics can always be worked into some other project, too nice to just toss it...

the same mod can be done with the Brinkmann "Long Life" 2AA light, but it is a bit more mechanically complex.

/ed B in NH

Joe400

Newly Enlightened
Frozen in Liquid Carbonite somewhere in Illinois
I've modified the 2AA Brinkmann NexStar using a 2AA m*glite reflector instead of a lens, although an NX-05 lens will fit in it also. If you wanted to go with a reflector instead of a lens the original 2AA Brinkmann reflector is not good for this mod, it leaves that infamous black spot in the center of your beam.

fc85a9a2.jpg

fc85a9a3.jpg

The one on the left is a 2C Brinkmann NexStar modified by Mr. Bulk with a 5W emitter and renamed the NexNeedle, the other one is the 2AA Brinkmann modified by me and considered the NexNeedles little brother. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might also even consider modding a Brinkmann 3AA direct-drive for a fairly low cost super-bright combination.