Why is weight (or lack of it) not a concern?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
How come no one makes a big deal about weight? In EVERY other mobile gear related hobby I take part in (mountain biking, guitars, RC cars, headphones/portable audio) weight-reduction almost always comes up. In mountain biking and RC cars its a primary concern for a large percentage of hobby-ists.

So... why is it that CPFers are not concerned with it nearly as much?

I frequently choose a 501B over my heavier surefire lights for its light weight pack-carry abilities... and I get the feeling I am the only one...:thinking:

madi05

Enlightened
well to tell the truth ,, i feel a light is a tool and i like the heft of it more so ,, say for instance a 6p to me is a mid small size that can made to pack a punch in lighting up something ,, so i like it to be robust ,, but i actually like a one cell r123 to be lighter because it will probably be in my pocket alot and i dont like heft in my pants ,, when i get a chance everyday i empty my change out of my pockets, just dont like that feeling i suppose, lol ,, but the 6p for me is something i have to grab to do a task mainly or check out something outside or use it while im fixing something

but then again if this low low we are discussing right now works out to be low like my lf3xt hek i may would want it lighter to because i would probably use it more often , lol

madi05

Toaster

Enlightened
Because you really can't make them much lighter without sacrificing build quality (super thin housings that snap, crappy plastic bodies that can't take much abuse) or turning to exotic materials ($$$$).

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weight is a concern, which is why my EDC is a L0PSE and a couple of Photons. My most used light is a STreamlight Stylus Pro. In the rare instance more light is needed or these do not suffice I can move up to a larger light.

kavvika

Enlightened
To an extent, a heavier light feels more solid. Thicker walls and beefier threading contribute to more heft but a feel of higher quality. Sort of how a luxury cars' door will close with a solid thunk instead of a tinny clank. The only light I've had experience with that gives off this feel is a Surefire E1e. However, I think a SS or Ti light would be too heavy.

Edit: I should read the OP more carefully before posting...

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Thanks alot kramer!

You owe me $44. :nana: I read your post and think about the Ra clicky EDC Executive I have on order & then BLAMMO, $$ gone.

I ordered a Ti bezel for it and I'm blaming you for making me think about it's weight with the stock SS one.

It is 40% lighter after all. :tinfoil:

Last edited:

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
It depends on what I'm using the light for. If I'm going to go backpacking, I'm going to choose a lightweight, efficient light, but if I'm going on a short walk or doing something where a flashlight is going to be my primary tool, size is not going to be much of an issue. In that case, I might even choose a large light.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I think weight is a concern, at times. It just depends how long I'm carrying.

Regarding mountain bikes, rc cars, (rc planes in my case) weight has a direct bearing on performance. When carrying a light, I'm really not trying to achieve anything with it other than just having it if I need it. A light that was a few ounces heavier wouldn't keep me from making it up the stairs but it might keep my plane from doing an outside loop. I really think that the subject is proportional. I few ounces in my pocket is small compared to a few ounces on a rc racing car or a pound on my mountain bike. :)

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
For backpacking, I go for bright, efficient, multilevel lights that are as light as possible without sacrificing reliability. That usually means a Fenix P3D Q5, Fenix EO1, and a PT EOS headlight. For night hiking, I don't mind a little extra weight as I want to use something that can handle drops well and fits the hand better without being slippery. I use lights like an Inova T1, Huntlight FT-01, Xtar Cree P4 18650 light, or a 6 volt Cabelas light with R2 drop in.

AMRaider

Enlightened
It depends on what I'm using the light for. If I'm going to go backpacking, I'm going to choose a lightweight, efficient light, but if I'm going on a short walk or doing something where a flashlight is going to be my primary tool, size is not going to be much of an issue. In that case, I might even choose a large light.

+1....

curlyfry562

Enlightened
In general, the lights most of us use all have the same density. We almost always use lithium batteries in aluminum flashlights, therefore it becomes more an issue of size than mass.

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
Your analogy is faulty.

The weight of a flashlight has no bearing on its performance whereas both mountain biking and R/C racing are driven by weight reduction because they require movement as their primary function. Besides, most compact flashlights made from aluminum are very close to their minimum reliable weight already. The battery is usually the heaviest component and there's nothing you can do about that, so if weight is a consideration, you pick the battery size and number of cells to fit your criteria and that's it.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
i go for lesser weight for my EDCs. I have a lot of stuffs in my trousers and I dont want to be pulling my pants up every now and then :laughing:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've yet to come across a light small enough for my trouser pocket that's too heavy. For jacket pockets and bags, I also don't find any of them heavy (2 AA and 2 CR123 sized), so weight has never been a concern for me. My 3C Mag is heavy, but it doesn't matter because it's only for use in the house. My 4D Mag is just silly, and never gets used.

aljsk8

Enlightened
if it weighs less than 100g empty it just dosent feel right to me - i remember this tape walkman i used to have and it was very thin and classy but also a lot heavier than others that were bigger - i loved it

you need to hall a mountain bike around with eather pedal power or lifting it up - so weight is important and rc are using motors to move them - lighter = faster or greater runtime

i dont have any problems hauling my 150g torches round - even if there are ones the same size that weigh 40g

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I much prefer a 1AAA sized light to carry in a pant's pocket, because of the weight. Can't get used to even a 1AA unless it's clipped. Same for a 1CR123. Now a coat pocket is a different story.

Geoff

rotncore

Newly Enlightened
Also, this is the same crowd that likes to put lights in hydrolic presses, drag them behind vehicles and drop them from buildings to test durability. Generally, the more metal stock, the better lights will come out on the extreme durability tests. Reliability/durability usually ranks high on many people's must have features, and for me, much higher than weight. In a single cell light, there's only so much weight you can save anyways, so I'd go for beefier if it meant I can count on it to work.

GreySave

Enlightened
It is a matter of personal preference. I often carry a Wolf-Eyes Raider which is quite heavy. I like the way it performs as well as how it feels in the hand. It also works better (grip) in gloves during the winter months.

Yet on other occasions I may carry a Fenix PD3 Rebel and be just as comfortable and satisfied.

I would say the the WE Raider is about as heavy and large of a light as I prefer. I like to be able to sit down without receiving a kidney induced reminder that I have a light on my belt.

Daekar

Enlightened
I think some of the other members have hit the weight thing on the head. To reiterate, most light construction is about as light as it can get without spending ridiculous amounts of money and/or seriously compromising the heatsinking ability of the design. In general, weight is a concern, but it is simply manifested in the choice of size rather than weight. There just aren't that many design changes you can make (and remain economical) to decrease weight without commpromising performance.