Surefire E2DL allowed on airplanes in carryon bag or should i put in checked baggage?

ERdiesel

Newly Enlightened
Considering the fact that the E2DL has a strike bezel, would i be able to get it through TSA on my carry on backpack at the airport? would I have to put it into checked in baggage? What about keychain lights such as the LD01? Also, I travel a lot to London for work, would the E2DL get me in trouble over there, just having it on my person?

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've flown through ny laguardia, ny jfk, newark, chicago, milwaukee, greenbay, miami and dominican republic with an e2dl (and 8+ other lights) no problem - I did, however, throw an f04 diffuser on top.

DEFINITELY DO NOT CHECK IT IF YOU WANT TO SEE IT AGAIN!!!

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't check nice lights. You'll never see them again. I've never had problems with most lights going thru airports. Batteries seem to be the big thing the TSA is putting on a show about lately.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
My own personal experience:

E2D in my laptop carry on bag went through fine, not even a glance from TSA.

Brand new L1 (was supposed to be a gift, I was flying home to the Philippines around Christmas time) in my checked baggage disappeared :poof: with a nice note from the TSA saying my baggage had been "inspected". :mad:

Of course, YMMV.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

Also, I travel a lot to London for work, would the E2DL get me in trouble over there, just having it on my person?
There's technicality and reality.

Technically, anything made or modified or intended to be a weapon is a weapon and as such can not be carried. Carrying anything you intend to use as a weapon for your self-defence is not allowed.

I don't think there is any merit in discussing these technicalities.

The reality is that the E2DL is a torch and in the extremely unlikely event you end up in the wrong place at the wrong time and are stopped and searched by the Police: The E2DL is a torch. Nothing more, nothing less; right. If comment is made to the crenelated bezel - make light (sic) of it - you have no other reason for the scalloped finish other than to ensure you don't put it down on a flat search whilst it is still switched on otherwise the batteries will run down. You'd never considered they were [sharp or whatever word is used to suggest they are pointy]. You'd always thought it was to protect the glass in case the torch was dropped on concrete etc.

Give the Police no reason to consider it anything other than a torch; be polite and let them get on with their job and soon enough you'll be back on your way.

Al

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't check nice lights. You'll never see them again. I've never had problems with most lights going thru airports. Batteries seem to be the big thing the TSA is putting on a show about lately.

On extra CR123 batteries you bring - definitely DO NOT pack them in your checked baggage.

They will be NO problem as carry on.

I usually carry a full SF spares carrier and about 4 additional CR123s in my carry on with never an issue.

pipspeak

Enlightened
gah, I hate threads like this... my blood starts to boil every time I read anything about the TSA.

They should rename the esteemed organization SNAFU just for accuracy's sake.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give the Police no reason to consider it anything other than a torch; be polite and let them get on with their job and soon enough you'll be back on your way.

Al

TSA agents aren't police, they are just random people off the street who happen to apply for the job, and their quality reflects that unfortunately.

pipspeak

Enlightened
I think he was referring to police in the UK, which has pretty strict laws against carry any sort of weapon. When dealing with the plod in the UK definitely keep it polite because they can haul you off to the station for just about anything these days and if they fancy a nice warm cuppa tea indoors they will.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, uk cops/laws, that's whole another mess I don't want to touch, and hopefully will never reach the shore here either..

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flown with several lights carry on before including the E2D and never had a problem. In fact never even questioned about them. I'd also recommend not checking in nice lights as others have already mentioned.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put it into your bag and get one the plane. It's going to appear as a flashlight when they do the scan anyway. It isn't going to appear as a strike bezel with semi-sharp, pointed ends to them.

Don't pull it out and don't talk about it.

If you get caught, where the hell has anyone made it widely public flashlights with an edgy bezel aren't allowed on planes. The worst they could do is hold it until the plane lands.

You might be lucky enough to ride with an Air Marshal (If you figure out who he is there's been an attempted hijack).

SPECTER6

Newly Enlightened
I've never had a problem having my E2D LED in my carry on. I considered putting it in my check-in last month with my pocket knife, and I'm glad I didn't; the pocket knife didn't make it back. I reported it stolen to the airlines, but I don't think anything will come of it. There goes $80.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a cheap solarforce L2 surefire clone with the crenelated bezel from lighthound. Quality of these is much better than average for what you pay. If you lose it, $30.00 bucks lost. Dont risk losing a surefire. E2DL=$150 lost! Just my 2 cents for what it's worth...

Praxis

Enlightened
It's very hit or miss with the TSA and lights like the E2D. I've detailed my significant other's recent experiences with the TSA elsewhere, but suffice it to say that the screener and his super at Dulles International would not let her pass through the checkpoint with the E2D that she regularly carries on travel. Best part is that she also works for TSA and specifically asked for justification why the light was forbidden. The screeners just got angry and told her to get rid of it.

Basically, if you want to travel with an E2DL, accept the fact the some screener somewhere will decide that it is not acceptable and try to take it. Either carry a pre-stamped mailer to send the light home, or be willing to lose it.

Best option might be to buy a regular E2L head from the Marketplace for your light and stash the E2LD head in your checked bag.

outersquare

Enlightened
gah, I hate threads like this... my blood starts to boil every time I read anything about the TSA.

They should rename the esteemed organization SNAFU just for accuracy's sake.

don't fly as much as possible, starve the beast

NotSoBrightBob

Newly Enlightened
+1 to Praxis,

I fly alot and stopped carrying my E2D for that reason. Fortunately I haven't lost it to the TSA but got pressure several times that it's a sharp object, true technically its not forbidden but I wasted alot of time with escalation and raised voices to get to keep it. It depends on the screener. If the supervisor likes the screener then the screener gets supported on a questionable decision. Save the headache.

I have many other non crenelated torches that fly just fine.