Serengeti Tactical Flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

jawpaul

Newly Enlightened
While at Sam's Club last night I picked up a new flashlight.

The light is pretty much your generic LED tactical light
- 160 Lumens
- Cree XR-E
- 3 AAA batteries in a holder
- Low/High/Strobe
- Focusable beam
- Waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes
- Tailswitch
- "Titanium colored" anodized aluminum body
- Attack crown
- Smooth mirror finish reflector
- Plastic lens

Price is about $27 for a Two Pack of lights with batteries included.

I can't find anything anywhere about this light. It seems like a good deal at $14 each. Will post up some pics and a review if anyone is interested

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to see a pic of it so the next time my wife and I go i will know what to look for.

jawpaul

Newly Enlightened
Quick Photo

9d3d4687.jpg

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Size limit for pics is 800x600

Tactical? Does it say that on the package?

Remember, Bright + tailcap does not equal tactical, maybe "tacticool". I has to be designed for police, military, or similar use to be actually tactical.

3AAA, usually those lights are of low quality. Runtime almost always dims quickly with alkaline batteries and NiMh might overdrive the LED.

How are the modes used? It is click, low, click, high, click strobe or click on, tap to change modes, or some other way?

Should be a decent-good everyday light for the general public who buy the light though. Probably more output then they expect, for the first minutes at least.

jawpaul

Newly Enlightened
Resized

I was just quoting the packaging.

My thoughts are the same, good general purpose cheap lamp, might be good for modding later on too. Should make some cheap gifts for the nephews.

Modes works as follows:
Off/Low/High/Strobe/Off
Hold button for one second: High, off when released.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It looks like a decent light for the general public though. What is bad for us is sometimes much more then the public expects.

Should have decent throw,though I think they should remove tactical from the labels. IMO a lie and very, very misleading.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
If you can squeeze an 18500 or better yet an 18650 in there and direct drive the XR-E, it might make a service-able light. But at that point you are relying heavily on the thermal cooling properties of the design (and a LOT of luck) to keep the LED from nuking itself.

I am direct driving a low BIN XR-E off an 18650 and its surprisingly bright off a ceiling bounce, with sufficient thermal cooling provided by the host I have chosen. Its almost as bright as my Cree-R2 module running at 1350 mah. I am really putting the LED through its paces in this light, so far it has handled it just fine. When it does die I have a Q5 and a 1050 mah driver waiting to be transplanted in.

Last edited:

jawpaul

Newly Enlightened
Will try to get the camera up and running for beamshots.

Dimming appears to be accomplished via PWM.

Not sure how much more circuitry is in there, the light was slightly dimmer when powered via rechargable NIMHs instead of Alkalines.

John

JRS7

Newly Enlightened
Funny how people can diss something that they've never even seen. I just bought a package of two last week, and for my first LED it's pretty cool!

It is a 'Tactical' light if I understand what 'Tactical' means. When you push the button it does the following:

1st Click: Low
2nd Click: High
3rd Click: Strobe
4th Click: Off

Tactical: With the light off, push the button and HOLD IT DOWN for a second or two...the light will come on High, and will stay on until you release the button, then it goes off again.....Tactical light.

I'm using it with rechargeables tonight, seems to work fine.

Maybe not that cool for someone with a bunch of expensive LED lights, but seems to be a nice LED light for about $14 each.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either that or they practice some really strange tactics in the Serengeti.

Serengeti Special Forces 1: "That be a cool light mon!"

Serengeti Special Forces 2: "yehbo! $27 for 2 of them."

Serengeti Special Forces 1: "that be good savings tactics mon."

Serengeti Special Forces 2: "yehbo, but the light is a black turd mon."

camelmike

Newly Enlightened
I remember the computer snobbery during the late 80's and early 90's. Cheap has no place here!

These lights are incredibly cheap for the huge output and if they are lost, who cares?

They are twice the light for half the price of the other rip off junk sold at most stores.

I love the flashlights man. In fact I still own a chrome Ray O Vac from the Boy Scout Days.

For light, it sucks compared to my newer lights but I like looking at it.

Back to the Serengeti , give one to your woman to keep in her glove compartment or travel bag.

One day she will love you for it and it's cheaper than 2 drinks at a decent bar.

Like most people she could care less about sophistication or heat sinking.

A great gift and a throwaway at this price. Go get a couple and abuse them. Then come back and whine because they aren't cool enough.

King Ghidora

Newly Enlightened
I have to admit you guys put on a real show. :popcorn: I haven't seen this much arrogance grouped together since the DNC convention. :poke:

It's a FLASHLIGHT. It's a very bright flashlight for not a lot of money. Now there's something that must be a "turd". You just can't have anything cool unless you're rich enough to pay stupid prices for it. All you guys who paid hundreds of bucks for a flashlight of all things, :naughty:, are just going to have to have your spell and get over it. :faint: Just remember to remove your hats so you don't bend them before you fall over. :tinfoil: :crackup:

Tactical - you sure you didn't spell that wrong? :nana: :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.