WHERE TO PURCHASE AN OLIGHT M20 WARRIOR SMOOTH REFLECTOR?

RaymondMillbrae

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks,

I was looking around to purchase an Olight M20 Warrior SMO (Smooth) reflector to increase the throw on my nightstand baby.

Does anyone know a place to get one of these reflectors at a decent price?

So far I have found one on eBay for approximately $22.00, shipped to my door. ($17.95, actual price). CLICK HERE TO SEE THE EBAY AD

Is the above eBay reflector OK, or is it generic junk?

Any leads - or links - would be appreciated.

Thanks.

In Christ: Raymond

PS: I just found one at The Battery Junction for $9.95. (SEE AD HERE). Is this a good one?

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Batteryjunction is about the best place you can find. Don't forget the CPF discount (5%) to save a bit more.

RaymondMillbrae

Newly Enlightened
Thanks.

I actually looked around a bit more, and decided that Battery Junction had the best price. (And is also a CPF member).

So with the 5% saving code of "BJFEB09," I got it for $13.40, shipped to my door.

At that price I figured, "Hey...can't go wrong with that". :thumbsup:

Better than the eBay price!!!

Thanks again.

RaymondMillbrae

Newly Enlightened
Wow!

I purchased the SMO reflector on the 3rd...and received it on the 7th.

Now that's Warp-12 service!

It came in an original Olight box, and the initial fit was perfect.

b183531826.jpg

b183531830.jpg

As you can see in the above pictures, the two reflectors were the exact same dimensions. (Which was nice to see, as I initially thought I was purchasing a generic brand). The one on the left was the OP (Orange Peel), and the one on the right was the new SMO reflector. (Smooth).

Upon screwing it in place and turning it ON, I noticed the "hot spot" was not centered. (You couldn't really see this when the OP reflector was in place). Upon further inspection, I saw that the Cree Q5 was not totally centered in the bulb.

Darn!

But that's OK.

Anyhoo...the Olight M20 Warrior is now a dedicated thrower.

I took it out this evening and compared it with my Dereelight CL1H V4...and they ran "neck in neck".

No joke. They were just about the same in throw and brightness.

I was really surprised! :eek:oo:

I even called my wifey-poo to verify what I saw...and she agreed. They were both about the same.

About the only clear difference between the latter two, were the color of the light. My Dereelight CL1H V4 has a crispy cold color. (Which I prefer, and seemed to "slice the night" better). And the Olight M20 Warrior had a greenish/greyish tint.

But both were bright as heck. Both threw about the same distance. And both left a nice narrow beam when cutting through the moist night air.

But the big difference was indoors. When bouncing the lights off the white ceiling, you could really see that the "hot spot" on the Olight M20 Warrior was off to one side a smidgen. And to make matters even worst, the Dereelight still had a much cleaner light. (With the SMO reflector, the Dereelight CL1H V4 still had the black Cree Rings around the hot spot. But from there, outward, the transition was still much smoother).

So to end, the Fenix TK11 (Q5) is still the better thrower of the three (but not by much), and the Dereelight CL1H V4 is still my favourite light. But I now have a new-found appreciation for my Olight M20 Warroior as being a dedicated thrower.

Now I feel a bit more confident having the M20 Warrior on my nightstand, to work in conjunction with my 10mm pistol if the sky should ever fall.

Man, I need to play around and try posting some "beam shots" one day...or night.

Thanks for your ears, yall.

Last edited:

ilLUMENati

Newly Enlightened
Do you think the off center beam is an issue with the specific light you got, or the Q5 itself? I have the M20 with an R2 and I kinda wanna change it to a smooth reflector as well.

RaymondMillbrae

Newly Enlightened
Illuminati,

I'm not one of those guys that will spend my personal time building a light from the ground up (soldering, pills, heat-resistant adhesives, Cree LED's, etc...), but from what I have read, sometimes the Cree bulbs come this way.

Sometimes the Cree emitters are not centered, and sometimes the whole Cree set-up is not centered on the pill itself.

From the little that I know - and understand - I believe mine was just "a fluke".

For outdoor "spot-lighting," it was OK. I didn't notice the hot spot to one side or the other. It threw the light well. But like I mentioned before, when bounced off a white ceiling (and physically looking for defects), you can see the off-centeredness. But it is still a blinding spot light. And it is still very effective when used for home defense, in conjunction with a pistol, and shone in the "bad guys" night vision eyes.

Will I hesitate to use it in the latter situation? (Home defense).

Nope!

I have enough confidence in it, to keep it on my nightstand next to my 10mm pistol.

Need a dedicated thrower? Don't hesitate to order the SMO reflector from the above folks. You will not regret it.

Hope that answered your question.

Last edited:

ilLUMENati

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, btw does the reflector come with instructions on how to make the switch? I tried taking apart the bezel on my m20 just know and stopped short of taking the pill and reflector out because I wasn't sure if I was doing it right. Wouldn't want to hurt my EDC baby wouldn't we?

RaymondMillbrae

Newly Enlightened
Illumnati,

the reflectors are super easy to remove and replace.

First, grab the light and unscrew the bezel ring. (See two pix below).
b183606332.jpg

b183606333.jpg

Then grab hold of the reflectors edge, and carefully unscrew it counter-clockwise. Wa-La!! The reflector will come right off. (See two pix below).
b183606335.jpg

b183606339.jpg

This last picture below will show you the threads on the inside bottom of the reflector. This is how it screws ON and OFF.
b183606343.jpg

In closing, make sure you DO NOT touch the insides of the smooth reflector. They are fragile (at least that's what they say) and can get oily with your fingerprints, that will eventually burn in place and reduce the "cleanliness" of your throw.

Hope that helped.

ilLUMENati

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I did manage to figure it out, I used nitrile gloves to get some traction on the edge of the reflector, seems alot easier to me. Finally got mine today, tried it out, it's got more artifacts than the Indiana Jones Trilogy (which is fine since it'll be my dedicated thrower and I use my P1D for up close work anyway). Race you to put up beam shots!

Hill

Enlightened
HI Raymond,

I was thinking of purchasing this reflector to mod a maglite but have a few Q's.

1. What are the outer dimensions (H X W)? Will three of these fit inside a mag 3D head?
2. Is it made of aluminum or plastic?

Thanks!

Hill

RaymondMillbrae

Newly Enlightened
Hill,

I have a 3D and a 4D Maglite, and the two heads are exactly the same size. The Olight M20 Warrior reflector WILL NOT fit into any of these heads.

And just to be thorough...the reflector diameter is 1.090" inches. (I knew it wouldn't fit the Maglite, so I didn't bother to measure the height).

b184539833.jpg

Hope that helped.

Hill

Enlightened
Raymond,

Thanks very much for the detailed information. That pretty much answers my question. I wish Olight would sell the reflectors that fit the T20 premium. I love the throw that hybrid MOP/SMO reflector has. Three of those in a mag head would be awesome, but to do that, I would need to spend ~180 to buy three T20's.
Hill