Amateur light comparisons

sweetlight

Newly Enlightened
Hi , I've bought a few lights since checking out this forum and I'd like to share my thoughts.

Lights include Streamlight microstream, stylus Pro and Jr.
Fenix L1d and L1p.
Also a Coast AA light.

My goal was for a small but not too small light for mostly indoor use. I think my personal preference is about 30-50 lumens.

The Streamlights are nice but not bright enough for me except for the Jr which is rated at about 50 and I liked it but it uses two batts and was a little too big.

I know Coast doesn't have a lot of fans here but even though it is rated at 17 lums it was brighter than the Streamlights, except for the Jr.

I like the Fenix L1d, with its different modes it can satisfy most of my needs. But the light I ended up choosing for my EDC is the L1p, I know its a bit dated. I like that it has just has one mode and its rated at 46 lums. I did unscientific comparisons between my lights and I don't really think it is 46, probably more like 30 lums. Its about as bright as a double A led maglite.

Does anyone know how bright a AA LED mag is?

The Fenix L1p switch is also easier to operate, probably because its only one mode. The L1d requires more force to switch it. I read that one of the reasons Fenix uses reverse clickies is its easier for changing modes. Forward clickies are much more practical IMO. The L1p is just one mode so I would have prefered it being a forward clickie but beside that and the fact that its probably only about 30 instead of the 46 rated lums this one works best for my purposes, which is mostly indoors, fixing of equipment in sometimes dimly lit quarters.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Sorry the two smaller Streamlights didn't do it for you, I have both and like them a lot for general use (they throw particularly well for their size & output). You can put them up for sale in the Marketplace, I doubt you would have difficulty selling them as they are well regarded and a good value.