How do I replace G2 lens?

fitzgjp

Newly Enlightened
I have a Surefire G2 with the 80 Lumen LED emitter. I would like to upgrade to a brighter drop-in and I have read I should replace the plastic lens with a glass one. Can anyone explain how I can remove the old lens and replace it? The G2 appears to have a screw-in retainer but it seems to require some special tool.

yo6ial

Newly Enlightened
I use my tweezers to unscrew those threaded holders.
Selecting the right size tweezers and with a steady hand, it usually unscrews easily.
Be careful not to damage the thread, and... mind you're fingers :sick:
Usually there is not much resistance in there, remember not to overtightened them either.

Or, if you plan to do this more often, i suggest you make a set of fixed tools to fit various sizes, think of a big screw driver, made of some tough plastic, with a wide notch in the middle or more like a straight spoon with a notch.
Use a hard plastic like ABS or polycarbonate.
Molding some composites for more durable tools would be an idea too.
Good luck!

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
A spring-action needle-nose pliers or a scissors work fine. You shouldn't need to replace the lens unless you're upgrading to something you shouldn't be putting in a G2.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
if it's potted:
boil some water
unscrew the head
submerge the head in the water
wait a minute
use needle nose pliers (or tweezers) and unscrew the plastic retaining ring.
remove the plastic lens
dry everything
replace with glass lens.

The only reason to replace the plastic lens is if it's scratched. Plastic lenses scratch when you look at them cross-eyed.

Last edited:

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Go to Wal Mart, in the watch section, they should have a watch case opener (black about 6 bucks). great for changing your own watch batteries and opening flashlight bezels.

Bill