Any US Coasties here?

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Is there any US Coast Guard coasties here? Active or retired? I'm contemplating on joining the service and I need some info and perspective from Coast Guard members. I have one week to decide whether to join the Coast Guard or Navy.

~What are the pros and cons of joining the Coast Guard compared to joining the other branches of the military?

~If I want to be on the law enforcement field, what rating should I choose?

~If I choose a rating, say a HST, am I stuck there or can I change ratings like in the Navy.

All tips and advices, I will greatley appreciate.

Thanks,
Stitch

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not in the Coast Guard (Army), but I've worked with them on joint maritime antidrug ops and the occasional search and rescue. I was with them when that decommissioned frigate sunk in San Diego prematurely and they had to pull the crew off. My dad is a Coast Guard Auxiliary officer.

The Coast Guard has a good reputation overall. During some advanced training last October, I bumped into them in Charleston at their academy and they looked good--fit, motivated, squared away. Most of the female Coasties there were nice looking--which hasn't always been the case. Contrary to public perception, they have some pretty rough ops where gunfire isn't unheard of. One of my friends at the academy was former TACLET who had won a gunfight aboard a drug smuggling vessel. Their search and rescue ops aren't particularly safe either.

When it comes to joining a branch of the military, I can only suggest looking at the obvious: What do you want to do specifically, and where do you want to do it? Coast Guard is all about small boats, small ships and helicopters. They have strong law enforcement and rescue duties, but also nav aid maintenance and ice breaking, domestically and overseas.

If you're interested in LE, try getting into a LE agency, if possible. If it doesn't happen, Coast Guard LE tracks are a decent stepping stone like my TACLET friend.