Just given a Surefire L5 with the KL5. What should I do to it?

BigMHoff

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about boring out the tube to accept 18650's.
Any other ideas?

I wish Malkoff made a head for it.

BigMHoff

Newly Enlightened
Introduce me to the guy that gave it to you. ;)

We'd be great friends.

Seriously, a Seoul is an easy swap.

HEY!! YOU STAY AWAY FROM MY MOTHER!! :thumbsdow

Haha. :D I got her the L5 a while back. I just traded her for a Fenix E20! Sucker! The AA battery thing, and better run time is better for her.

A Seoul swap? With like, solder? Not for me. Any other ideas?

Greg G

Enlightened
A Seoul swap? With like, solder? Not for me. Any other ideas?

Just enjoy it like it is then. Soldering is the easiest part of modding that light. If you think soldering is hard......just try cracking the head open to GET TO the LED......:D

BigMHoff

Newly Enlightened
Just enjoy it like it is then. Soldering is the easiest part of modding that light. If you think soldering is hard......just try cracking the head open to GET TO the LED......:D

I'm good at cracking thinks open! Its the part about not breaking stuff that gets me every time! :eek:oo:
Do you guys have a link detailing the Seoul swap? I searched and couldn't find instructions?

Greg G

Enlightened
Are you sure that will work? The original L5 is designed with a boost regulator for use with the Luxeon V. A SSC emitter will require a buck regulator.

I was wondering about that too but didn't want to question DaFabricata because he's real knowledgeable. I *think* the driver is regulated to 660ma? I know it is supposed to work with an MC-E. Maybe that is an option, but the heatsinking would need to be improved a bit.

When I put a Seoul in my L5 I also replaced the original driver with an SOB1000. I switched the light over to two 18650s with an extension.

Last edited:

Greg G

Enlightened
I'm good at cracking thinks open! Its the part about not breaking stuff that gets me every time! :eek:oo:
Do you guys have a link detailing the Seoul swap? I searched and couldn't find instructions?

It's easy. Once you have the heatsink out just desolder the wires from the Lux V and pop it out, being careful not to scratch the anodizing. A Seoul will fit right in where the Lux V was. Use Arctic Alumina epoxy to glue it down and solder the leads back on.

Honestly, I think if you went that far you should think about putting an R2 Cree emitter in it. You'd have to do a little Dremeling for it to go in. The L5 reflector works great with a Cree XR-E. That's what I have in my L5 now, and like it better than the Seoul USWOH I first put in it. If you wan to run on it on a single 18650 put a Sandwich Shoppe GD1000 driver in it.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
It's easy. Once you have the heatsink out just desolder the wires from the Lux V and pop it out, being careful not to scratch the anodizing. A Seoul will fit right in where the Lux V was. Use Arctic Alumina epoxy to glue it down and solder the leads back on.

Honestly, I think if you went that far you should think about putting an R2 Cree emitter in it. You'd have to do a little Dremeling for it to go in. The L5 reflector works great with a Cree XR-E. That's what I have in my L5 now, and like it better than the Seoul USWOH I first put in it. If you wan to run on it on a single 18650 put a Sandwich Shoppe GD1000 driver in it.

You can fit an 18650 into the L5 body?

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep it and enjoy that slightly underdriven Lux V. I miss my L5s and wouldn't mind picking up another.

An idea: contact one of the modders 'round here and see if they could drop in a P7 and a different driver board. Perhaps milkyspit and his Acorn driver, boosted to drive the P7 hard? I saw one for sale on the Modified B/S/T the other day that really had my interest... Or one of the other modders here to see what your options are.

You can also look for Leef bodies (see what's left at www.lighthound.com and keep an eye posted at the Modified B/S/T forum for resales)- most accept 18650s.

Pick up a fatty SW-01, the finest SureFire tailcap IMHO. Looks stunning on the standard L5 body and head.

The sky (and your budget) are the limit. Or simply enjoy a truly rugged, great, stock light. You can't go wrong. :devil:

BigMHoff

Newly Enlightened
And thats your mother!

C'mon! Theres a sucker born every minute! Just because she gave birth to me doesn't give her any leeway!! :nana: Jeez! I bought it for her in the first place! She didn't want to deal with the 123's so I traded her. Whats wrong with the E20? Especially for a 70 year old lady that wont take it out of the house.

All this solder/lathe/dremel talk is making me nervous!! I should just puss out and buy the TK11 R2 I've been dreaming of! I kinda really want to suck it up and do the P7 mod you guys are talking about. I'd be a good reason to buy a lathe, right? :shakehead

Last edited:

Greg G

Enlightened
That would cost more than having someone mod it for him. And don't forget that there would be no choice in tint. The tint on my KL5A is noticeably blue. It's probably a USXOH or thereabouts.

loszabo

Enlightened
That would cost more than having someone mod it for him. And don't forget that there would be no choice in tint. The tint on my KL5A is noticeably blue. It's probably a USXOH or thereabouts.

Correct. :eek: But, I think it is still a cool LED head. I just bought an old L5 w/KL5 and I'm looking forward to compare both (not in lumens output, but beam shape, etc.)