MagLED differences

american lockpicker

Enlightened
Recently at walmart I was looking at lights and I seen a 2D LED for 19.99 and a Maglite 2C/2D led dropin made by Maglite for 18.99 they are different. Does anyone know what are the differences. And is the dropin overpriced or is the flashlight bodies really cheap?

jblackwood

Enlightened
Save up for a Malkoff drop-in, you'll see a much bigger difference in performance between the stock bulb and the Malkoff. His website is here.

You'll have to cut the stock reflector, but as long as you don't take too much off, you'll be fine, as long as you have a dremel otherwise I imagine it's be tough to do with a hacksaw, or something.

GPB

Enlightened
It appears that Mag is in the midst of a product change. The newer 2D lights have a different LED assembly in them than the original ones. When they first came out, the LED light was the same as the "regular" Mag, but it had an LED that was a direct replacement for the incandescent bulb. That is the bulb you are seeing for sale. The newer lights don't have bulbs that are able to be changed. There is a thread that discusses this in length. Search for "Mag" and "Rebel" and you should find it.