Beginner question!

futurelawguy

Newly Enlightened
To whom it may concern,
I am just entering a Law enforcement career and I need help with my flashlight setup. I have a Pelican 7060 currently and love it. I am looking for a smaller LED (Fenix TK11 size) to go on my belt. Throw is the most important thing to me. I want a bright a^$ white LED that will go forever. My buddy has a Fenix TK11 and I love it. It competes with my Pelican very well and is half the size.
Is the TK11 the best light for what I'm looking for? Or would I be better off buying something and customizing it a little to make it even better that the TK11. If a mod is the best answer than I would need something very simple to do as I'm know nothing about flashlights other than how to hold em.
Thanks for the advice and ideas...

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Begginer question!

As for as throw is concerned, the Tk-11 with R2 will be hard to beat. You may want to check out a dereelight DBS V3 with SMO reflector and R2 pill if you want extreme throw. This is a more expensive option, but either does well with rechargeables.

FLT MEDIC

Newly Enlightened

For throw, the Tiablo A10 R2 is the best followed by the DBS V3 R2 ( https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/221002).

For TK11-sized throwers, the EagleTac T10C2 is the best (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214238).

I still like my modded Gladius even if it's only half as bright as these newer lights. Nothing like being able to have momentary Strobe and then transition to momentary full brightness or preset continuous ON at the flick of my thumb. Very important for force on force scenarios and your LE work on the street.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast

For throw, the Tiablo A10 R2 is the best followed by the DBS V3 R2 ( https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/221002).

For TK11-sized throwers, the EagleTac T10C2 is the best (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214238).

FYI, the TK11 outhrows the Eagletac significantly. The T10C2 may have more OVERALL output, put it won't out-throw the smooth reflector'd Fenix.

I would suggest the DBS V3 R2 with the smooth reflector. It will be very close in size to the TK11, having a slightly larger head but approximately the same length. However, the DBS will SMOKE the Fenix in the throw department :naughty: And it more than qualifies for LEO use, as it is a high quality light in the same league as the Fenix build-quality wise.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

The beam of the DBS might be a bit narrow, but I've never been an LEO so I don't know what is good.

The TK11 should be pretty good for what you want.

If you are in the US and buying from Fenix Store/4sevens, they have an 8% off coupon "CPF8".

There is also the Olight M20 but the multimode of that light could be iffy(as in not as good for tactical use).

:welcome:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd look at lights built for LEOs/armed forces, etc. A broad assumption: since your life may count on reliable lighting, I'd look for a trusted manufacturer, and remember the old adage that one is none, two is one...

The TK series Fenix are supposed to be really good lights. I've never owned one, so I can't comment.

Also look at the SureFire E2DL (nice throw with usable spill, two effective light levels, and it is a SureFire), the E1B (one cell in size, two effective light levels, and SureFire quality), Novatac 120T, or the Ra Clicky (140 lumen burst mode tactical model).

I've always found it is better to purchase a higher quality product once than a lower quality product over and again. But your mileage may vary.

futurelawguy

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Below is what I just purchased....Please advise if this is a good setup or if I should consider different batteries or a different charger...Thanks!!

Light: Fenix TK11 R2 from "4 Sevens"

Battery: http://www.lighthound.com/AW-18650-Protected-2200-mAh-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery_p_105.html

Charger: http://www.lighthound.com/Ultrafire-WF-139-Charger-for-14500-17500-18500-18650-RCR123-37-volt-Lithium-Battery-Charger_p_2279.html

I have always used streamlight stingers and Pelican 7060 before so the charging was very easy......Please let me know if I should get different stuff.....Also is there a fire danger in charging these batteries?

futurelawguy

Newly Enlightened

Anyone..........This will be my last post...sorry for the beginner Questions...I need to know weather or not I bought the right/best stuff for the light...

Please advise.....

Thank You!

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those should work well for the TK11 R2. Since the battery is protected, it has a circuit that prevents it from becoming overcharged (which can be dangerous) or overdischarged (which can ruin the battery). The charger itself should also have a cutoff, so it isn't likely that you will blow yourself up at any point. All you do is put them in the charger and plug it in. It will charge them until they are full, then stop. It should give an indicator light when they are done. Be advised that it may take a while to charge (multiple hours), so you might want to get another battery so you will always have one charged.
or, you can also use cr123 batteries in the TK11 if you have them available.
The AW batteries are apparently a very good brand. As far as chargers go, a charger is a charger. They all pretty much do the same thing.

Last edited:

balou

Enlightened
The AW batteries are widely considered to be the best.
The charger... well, it's a not-so expensive chinese one, but your batteries have overvoltage protection in it, so it's ok.

As a general rule, never charge Li-ions unattended. And don't let them sit for hours in the charger after it's done.
Li-ion rechargeables are quite safe - safer than CR123A 3v primaries in use. The only point when something can go wrong is while charging. Most of the accidents seem to occur when mishandling cheap unprotected Li-ions. Follow those basic rules, and all should be safe.

Here's a thread that might interest you:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/157760

P.S. I hope that didn't sound too scary... and it really is safe as long as you use your common sense

edit:
why your last thread? Wait until the flashaholism kicks in ;)
:welcome:
(I also just wanted to get a single piece of advice here. I ended up spending $54 instead of $20 on my first flashlights in years, but I think it was really worth it)

Last edited:

futurelawguy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pointers guys!

I feel confident now that I have some decent batteries now.

I know what you mean about the flashaholism.......I cant wait for the Fenix TK40 to come out..now

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I hope you like the light!

As long as you treat the batteries well they should last for a good amount of time.

If you don't ask questions, you don't get answers, though a quick search and read though the stickies can usually clear many more often asked questions up.

radu1976

Enlightened
I would choose a compact JETBEAM III PRO IBS .
Much smaller than a TIABLO 10 or a DEERELIGHT DBS , with a better throw than a FENIX 11 and lighter too.
Perfectly regulated for 1:30hr with 18650.
What's not to be desired ?
I haven't had a light of that size capable of such a throw as my JET III IBS smooth reflector is ! :thumbsup: