LED Home Made Canister Light

CBR-runner

Newly Enlightened
Ok so I'm hooked on the flashlight thing. I am planning and buying parts for a canister dive light much like Packhorse.

I have found a very powerful driver for LED's here: http://www.pcmus.com/Dive-Photos/LED-Genie.htm (has anyone else seen or tried this?)

This and 3 R2 LED's and a 16.8 volt NiMh battery pack.

It will look very similar to the ones at pcmus.com and those posted on Packhorse's threads.

Stay tuned for pics, parts lists, and prices. :wave:

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... according to the description, that driver can do 9A! It's definitely not cheap for something you have to assemble yourself, but some serious possibilities there.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just looking at the parts, it appears that it might be PWM only, which requires some form of current limiting. Unless they have an inductor and recovery diode, or unless they are using linear mode which would generate heat and power loss.

Let us know what you find out.

CBR-runner

Newly Enlightened
From talking to the guy it sounds like it is a PWM and a buck driver. Everyone else that has used it is very pleased with it, and is getting extremely long battery life out of it.

It should be here soon I'll post pics when I get it and ask a bunch of questions. I'm just a mechanic that dabbles in electronics so many of the in's and out's of those little parts is lost on me.

b-bassett

Newly Enlightened
hi cbr

i have recently orderd one of those led genies for a quad Q5 setup and the driver should be with me this week.

i cant say for sure how good this led version is but a freind of mine has used the origional version very sucsessfully to overdrive a 12 v halogen with extreamly good results ( apart from when he fried the chip by fitting it to an already powerd up board :oops:)
hopefully the price is worth paying for

will comment further when i receive my one.

jon

CBR-runner

Newly Enlightened
Well I got the LED stuff in but I'm out of town. I'll be back friday to post pics. The led's will be here soon!:twothumbs

CBR-runner

Newly Enlightened
Sorry no pics yet work is keeping me busy. :candle:

I should have the mag-lite cut down and ready for reessembly today.:huh:

Still waiting on my LED's and reflectors. They should be here this week.

CBR-runner

Newly Enlightened
OK here we go...

This is the disassembled LED genie...

Its getting soldered together this weekend. :poof:

This is my cut down mag-lite... :hitit:

I had the last few threads left on the top inside of the head to use a thread in heat sink. I also had the lip machined down to allow for a better o-ring seal with a stepped lens. :grin2:

Hopefully I can get the other done tomorrow. :party:

Last edited:

CBR-runner

Newly Enlightened
The driver is only like $43. The piezo electric switch is another $43. The solid state switch is easy to use and has no little rubber boot that can fail and flood the light. :twothumbs

Still cheaper than the $1500 I'd have to spend on a comparable light form DiveRite, or OMS.

CBR-runner

Newly Enlightened
I like the Pezo switch. That and I already bought it. I like nice things :grin2:

The pic sizes are fixed... sorry about that.

CBR-runner

Newly Enlightened
well i changed what i wanted again.

I just got my 3x ssc P7's in for this light. hopefully i'll be able to build it this weekend.;)

CBR-runner

Newly Enlightened
Well nothing yet. The light turns on but I can not get it to turn off or change brightness settings.

I'm getting frustrated. :mad: